Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, August 11, 2021

August 11, 2021

Yesteryear
One year ago today: August 11, 2020, the Mona Carona.
Five years ago today: August 11, 2016, 94% are women.
Nine years ago today: August 11, 2012, Demopolis, Alabama.
Random years ago today: August 11, 2009, early “cloud” warnings.

           What's this, the airlines backed off on their employee vaccination requirement? Smart move, since their staff is highly trained and not so easily replaced. However, nobody over there is going to forget how management tried to buffalo them in the first place. Besides, management is always playing the wrong hand in these situations. The situation, which I learned while working at a closed shop union, is that management wants ever more control over employee’s personal matters. Yet in Anerica it is largely employee “freedom” which prevents the formation of large and powerful unions.
           One dynamic easily seen is how the biggest employers who pay the worst wages are not chomping at getting home-workers back into the office. Since nobody has been moaning about productivity, it’s safe to say that has panned out for both sides, so why the impetus to drag people back into an office setting? Control, that’s why. Humankind gets a kick out of overseeng others and in America, much of the middle-management’s existence depends on it. Plus we have some Marine General saying no to enforced vaccines. He called the defense secretary a coward but most of the world knew that after seeing that goof wearing a face diaper under his welding mask. I say again, I am worried that the Biden regime is going to push somebody too far. I feel right now if even a single shot is fired, we got us a bad one.
           You get extra reading today because my van is still in the shop. Keep reading. I got asked about this curious piece of wood on the lakeshore. I don’t now, it was evidently something washed ashore. Made from 8x8” lumber, the shape gives me no hint as to its function. Then some partiers dragged it inland to form a place to sit near the campfire pit. If you know what it is, leave a comment. Trivia. In small-sample tests, this blog uses compound (hyphenated) words 14 times more often in writing and 40 times more than average in spoken English. I wonder if that means anything, IQ-wise?

           Something you gotta love is the school board demonstrations. The turnout is greater than Biden's pathetic rallies, the only issue I have is they are 30 years too late. We now have three generations of woke idiots that were indoctrinated because the parents were too busy paying the bills to be paying attention to what the their kids were being force-fed. In my day, which I don't specify, this leftoid propaganda scenario was already in force, but if you watched, they were mostly fringe groups and weirdos on campus. They had not yet coaleseced into cells that encroached onto key positions in the system. Notice one group of the thug police won't touch is these school boards, they are afraid of even showing up to face the mothers of these children.
           The school boards are fully masked so you can't see them grinning and smirking at those idiot parents. They had their chance to protest over the past 40 years but let it go. The school boards are now solidly entrenched and will do the bidding of their masters, the Democrats. They know their policies will be in place long before the next round of school board elections. Even then, their operatives have infiltrated the entire school administration system, which they have over time altered to their liking. They know protesting takes time and effort that cannot be sustained. So even if a new board gets in, the system will be difficult to unravel.

Picture of the day.
Portable clean room.
(About $45,000 each.)
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Once again, a snag with my windshield means another delay, so no wheels until tomorrow. Fortunately, I'm not going anywhere, so I watched some documentaries. What do you know, the Lee-Enfield, a rifle from the 1890s, is still in use. My area of study did not include small arms, but ask me about mechanical weapons any time. This rifle was built in the millions and famed for long-range accuracy. So I guess it's no surprise to see it used by militias and such all these years later. They are also reputed to be hard to jam. I fired one when I was around ten years old, it hurts the shoulder.
           Another iconic weapon is the 50 caliber Browning, which I heard is still being manufactured. I've also heard it is still used in some piston patrol aircraft, but found no examples. And now I get the news on the windshield. That tiny extra wire and special shape needed for the "power rear view mirror" jacks the price up by $140. I am soon to have a $400 windshield, twice what I set out for. I wasn't thinking, I could have just got a regular rear-view but too late now. I was too busy, as Dorothy Parker once nearly said.

           So, what is the news? The Governor of Georgia got booed off the stage. That's the guy that sucked up to Trump to get elected, then switched sides. Wasn't that the first guy to "certify" the election results even before the counting was finished? A traior, anyway you look at it. He's another goner, the race now is to not let the libtards use their temporary advantage to put too many laws in place to prevent a turnover. That would definitely cause some form of upheaval and makes me glad I'm so far away from the focal points on that issue.
           A series of houses came on the market this morning, all in the area just south of Lebanon Pike. Nearly identical in price, and in the same wooded area, this looks more like a setup than a real drop in prices. What got me looking is these are not townhouses, but detached and some of them have been recently spiffed up. The neighborhood was built in 1984 and some of these units last sold in 2006 for $60,000. Let's watch and maybe learn what's shaking.

           Part of this trip was to accustom the new doggie to my presence and we have a yes and no situation. The dog obeys me, takes to my presence, stays near when I'm working, and will seek me out for things. But he will not eat the food I set out for him. It's an exact recipe and he'll finish every helping from the Reb. For me, sometimes he will not even enter the kitchen. Myself, I say it's something he'll get over, hunger is a great motivator. He's lost close to ten pounds being here where he gets a calculated diet and gets walked twice and sometimes threee times per day. I think I've lost around the same.
           For siesta, I watched a short on Mexican fishing bats. Out in Baja, they skim along the ocean surface and grab small fish where scientists with nets and sonar can't find any fish at all. I was once more shocked by how well-equipped and well-funded these college-age people were, it was something I'd always imagined I'd have been doing if I'd entered grad studies on schedue. Instead of ten years later, which, career-wise, missed the boat. Yep, that would have been something.

ADDENDUM
           I re-looked at my World's Cheapest Satellite plan, which has a working transmitter beaming out this blog at 10 WMP (Farnsworth). Outside of the launch, which would be crowd-funded, the components ring up at less than $100. My entire blog text is loaded onto a flash drive and using off-the-shelf software and and Arduino, let's the whole world enjoy the contents of this blog for all time to come, figuratively speaking. Ah, but what about those who want it faster? Let them record it and play it back any speed they want. I've long known my speed is capped by how fast I can write down the last letter before the next one begins. Think about this a moment, as it has never been fully mentioned that I know of. To write Morse, you must finish listening to the pattern completely before writing it down. But by then, the next letter has begun to transmit. This has always been a barrier to me. Consistently above 10 wpm, I can't write fast enough.

           This is why my stance is that the police don't be defunded totally, just defunded to the point where than can only enforce the laws in place. They should be defunded
from acting as stongarms for their liberal masters. oh, I hear the wailing already, but the fact is these police have had countless opportunities to do right and they have failed more than miserably. No way should they show up in riot gear at every protest unless violence is reported, and even then, they should single out the violent people like they are supposed to.

           I am drawn to Gab.com for short, snappy comments about the current situation. And y'day somebody published a list of the 17 or so Republicans who voted in favor of the fake "Infrastructure Bill", which is nothing much more than pork. Drive the roads between Nashville and Murfreesboro before you think any money is being spend fixing potholes. However, all over the country there is a sense that the turning point has been passed. That from here on in the government will be increasingly compelled to use violence. Not a good sign. The military is already balking at government edicts that have nothing to do with defense of the realm and for every gun the police have, private citizens have 100. The authorities would do well to remember that.

Last Laugh