Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, December 14, 2021

December 14, 2021

Yesteryear
One year ago today: December 14, 2020, sextant fluff.
Five years ago today: December 14, 2016, ground-floor lucky.
Nine years ago today: December 14, 2012, back when it was Belize.
Random years ago today: December 14, 2003, I am a Libertarian.

           Once again, the day is delayed due to travel. Hello from central Florida after a 13.5 hour trip in the sunshine. It was a great drive on that count and I stopped only for gas, plus checking the water level. Here’s the rundown on that. When cruising down the freeway, everything is in balance and the radiator behaves. The leak occurs when you stop for a light and idle. In the absence of any breeze, the fan cuts in, but as we learned in Miami earlier, the big fan has something wrong and never kicks in. Before I forget, the mechanics who checked it out got a laugh out of my bypass circuit. Took pictures of it, they did.
           Anyhow, the small fan can’t cope, so it begins to kick up the radiator pressure. When that pressure is high enough, and it doesn’t take much, the steam begins to escape. I called Trent about this and he had a Ford once that did the same. I can live with the random piston misfire and I need a decent brake job, but that radiator will probably need replacing. If things are still running well in a day or two, my plan is to keep the vehicle until it completely dies. Every day it runs now is like a profit margin, so let’s hope it runs until next December.
           See this photo? That’s the transplanted agave from November. These can be finicky in the soil around here but as you see this one took nicely. This shows a healthy plant in that sandy spot beside the north shed, nice, huh?

           How about that Chinese guy who doped up his ex-girlfriend, then propped her eyes open to unlock her phone and transfer $24,000 to his account? Americans find this sort of thing shocking. I mean, what exactly is a Chinese woman doing with that kind of money in the first place? Taylor turned 32 today, meaning she is no longer too young for me, unless you want to get really picky about things. Not expected a trouble-free trip, I removed all my audio books from the van, so spend an inordinate amount of time listening to Georgia radio.
           I made one 15 minute stop for coffee somewhere in Georgia. I read a couple chapters in my book, noting by the clientele, I was deep in Hicksville. Crossing Georgia takes a long time, I used the spell to plan ahead. One task I can’t slack off is finishing that shed. It is ready now, but if I’m going to place anything valuable in there, I’d prefer the walls to be super solid. You recall, it is framed with 2x3s. One-foot on center gives me an idea. If, instead of making the back wall the same, a secondary row of studs a little wider would make a dandy fake wall that would be impossible to detect without removing the siding. I can think of fifty nifty things that would fit in there, from vodka to ammo to who knows. Just a thought.
           And in another cowinkydinky with this blog, Florida is toying with the idea of stopping airlines that fly illegals into our airports in the dead of night. You saw that idea in this blog long ago, right after the first flight was reported. But again, just coincidence.

Picture of the day.
National Day in China.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           I took the Cagle pass through the mountains and it was ten degrees warmer, enough to take off my winter coat and enjoy the drive. This time of year there is not enough sunlight for the 12-hour trip, but I felt like driving. The only bottleneck was the usual around Atlanta. Thirty times I’ve been through that city and never stopped there, fearing I may not be able to get back out. If you view a map, it shows the city is ringed with bypass routes. Don’t fall for it. There is an old Russian saying, two places you’ll find no shortcuts. In life and in Atlanta. I got home around 8:30PM. The last two hours was in the dark. Everything looks the same as I left, with one item of note.
           The hillbilly left a few things by the fence. When he did not show the day I left, I threw a light plastic sheet over them, expecting he’d be a day at most. It was still there, and the tarp was not meant to be there this long. I’ll check in the daylight tomorrow, but something has gone wrong. I toured the yard in the dark and all looks fine, noticing how the warm weather has already “cured” the aches and pains of my old shoulder injury. The Reb noticed my tendency to work long hours again, I kept her informed of the hours I’d put in leading up to this journey. Feeling this perky this long is a major plus but I’m not easily persuaded this is anything permanent.
           These are a couple of cable spools. The Reb saved them thinking I could do something but I’m not that artistic. They are brand new if you can come up with anything. The wood is in great shape.

           What’s this? More women are claiming they were sexually harassed at the Tesla works. These days that should be interpreted to generally mean they were the ones who got picked over. Let me explain something. It may not be true but it is popularly believed in America that rich men can get all the women they want. So it is incredulous to hear filing clerks and plain Janes go on years later about all these billionaires came on to them. That’s as ridiculous as saying a hit on some filing clerk. I don’t waste my time on the secretary pool. The point here is there is a change in the wording of these accusations. They are now saying they “experienced” harassment, which is a round-about way of not saying it actually happened. The sad news is that, in this country, 70% of these lawsuits succeed. Here’s an offer. I’ll pay $10,000 to anybody who can find a woman that I approached for sex after I was 20. I did a couple times in my teens before I figured out the correct method of the non-approach, but that’s another story entirely.
           The Russians are testing a new anti-submarine missile. The humor is the videos. You cannot tell one missile from another very much at the launch phase. Big missile, small missile, most look alike. What I was watching for was the burn time. Until the object becomes aerodynamic, control is by the rocket motor. I did notice these weapons had unusually long thrust stages and dark colored fumes.

Last Laugh