Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, December 30, 2021

December 30, 2021

Yesteryear
One year ago today: December 30, 2020, nothing in 40 years, folks.
Five years ago today: December 30, 2016, overall . . .
Nine years ago today: December 30, 2012, studying resistors.
Random years ago today: December 30, 2003, the “duh”.

           Who recalls my report of record gas prices the day I headed across the Mojave in 2013? My link shows the pump at Ludlow on the entrance to Route 66. Thus, the recent spate of high gas prices on-line is misleading. The pictures are taken in Death Valley and other desert sites where everything has to be trucked in special. High prices like that are not nationwide at all. Yet.
           A nice breakfast of rice. Just rice, with soy sauce, and I got more of the deck finished. Around four hours work when I again ran out of screws. The floor is more solid than the house, let me see if I have another view of it for you. Moments later, no I do not. Here’s the best I can do, a shot called “The Lonely Dryer”. Hey, I still have to keep up with logistics, in this photo the deck is only partially secured, but it is already fully serviceable.

           Note that small canopy over the dryer, that was temporary and it is now gone. I need something more substantial to keep this area high and dry. The hillbilly came by, it is payday, so he stuck around to help me tack up a guidepost I will need to get the correct roof angle. I am not going to measure angles, rather mark them, I’ve done with trying to cut by calculation. Angles just don’t work for me.
           The neighbor heard all this commotion over the fence and asked if the hillbilly could trim the hedge, which he did. He make $25 and hour by working fast. I also paid him a half-case of Yueng-Ling I had in the fridge, which he was only too glad to sit in the shade in the nice deck shown here and talk to his dog and his girlfriend. Oh, and I fed the dog a half can of pumpkin with his breakfast and it quickly cured up his bad gas and breath. Pumpkin I learned about in Tennessee.

           Yep, the number of morons on the Internet is constant. Today I saw an ad and picture for a dinner roll recipe. The blurb said making them was “a cinch”. Upon examination, it called for buttering a pan, lining it with paper and buttering the paper, an instant read thermometer, a an mixer with a paddle attachment, hot milk, plastic wrap, and around this point I thought, you know what you can do with your recipe?
           Kyoto University report the loss of over 75 trillion bytes of information. That’s what you get for hiring millennials. Everyone in the place will be able to prove the fuck up was not his fault. I’ll say it again, never let anybody under 40 touch your computer. Your business is not a video game.

Picture of the day.
Epstein Island.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Parson was on the phone, the gig is set for 8:00 to midnight, but I’m prepared to go a little over. I’m glad I’ll see 2022 by the looks of it. And it will be a year when I predict substantial changes in my retirement philosophy as well as the world at large. I believe there is danger after January 22nd that Biden may not allow the renewal of prescriptions without a vax, which could be the last straw for many. I plan to have a 90-day supply on hand, which I will husband carefully to last past the stage where any backlash might occur. The aboriginal uprising in Australia is taking form, especially their videos asking other nations for help.
           Here’s another picture from the Juno mission, this time the largest moon of Jupiter, Ganymede. The Webb telescope is said to have ten times this resolution, which sounds like an unscientific guess to me. The fact this moon is so close to the gravity of Jupiter and yet shows so little evidence of meteorite strikes says the surface is flexible or somewhat fluid. Remind me to read up on this object. Technically, Juno’s mission is over but like Galileo, it is still responding and slated to be sent on to other tasks.
           After a couple weeks of trying to contact Agt. R with no success, I am purging all the files from the days I went to bat for him with that foreclosure. Wasn’t he supposed to buy me a beer or something? I forget, but dumping all that paperwork will free up a dozen binders and other supplies now being needed with the new business venture. We have the LLC set up, with a proper mailbox address (not a P.O. Box), a website, logo, and soon some stationary.

           What’s with stationary? Well, fact is a lot of Americans do not trust phone calls or on-line businesses that contact them first. My wee office is superbly equipped to send out regular mail. The crux is that as I sweep through county lists, I regularly see dozens of easy claims that are not worth the intense pursuit needed for my work. I’ve mentally divided the claims into three groups. The prime, the sub-prime, and the not worth bothering with. I’ve practiced the routine enough times to know how long it takes and I regularly find counties that have only a tiny list of primes, but the sub-primes quickly add up to $100,000 or more.

           At the same time, I’ve spotted the outfit teaching us have that office support staff I only suspected at first. Thus, their advice is predicated on having to maintain that staff through any quiet periods. I have no such restriction and many of those claims, if the paperwork is routine enough and they respond to a mailer, I would like to be ready to jump on it. Right now, I’m taking the next hour off to find more county lists, just for something to do until January 4, with is the deadline for processing the first claim.
           Bryne has been in touch again. His landlord is selling out and returning to Bolivia a millionaire by their standards. Bryne has not made plans where to move so there’s a chance he may like the laid-back style of this area. No real hassles, traffic jams, and very little goof crime. The black around here know too many people would rather shoot a burglar and face manslaughter charges than to have to lock their houses and cars all the time. It is very rare to see any blacks in this part of town.
           The Florida stand-your-ground law put an instant stop to most petty crime after the first couple dozen got blown away. Except for the media and such in the big cities, nobody in rural America cares if they die committing a crime. They’ve had a hundred and sixty years and infinite resources most of us could only dream of. If they were ever going to make anything of themselves, they would have by now. Just sit through a free government college who does not dare fail them, then a apply for a government job they don’t dare say no, and collect a fat paycheck for life sitting around all day. That’s the perception they’ve created for themselves.

           Where was I? Getting more Georgia lists underway. I found around seven, a labor intensive task. No two counties share the same format, and the one that has a proper spreadsheet is in xlxs format. I keep seeing a site that offers monthly updated reports but you can’t buy one. You have to subscribe for $99 per month and we’ve all heard the horror stories of trying to cancel on-going subscriptions. So I sort of hacked their site to get some valuable information—a list of the 78 counties in Georgia that keep lists. There are several different places that say there are between 141 and 149 counties. I’ve settled on 144.
           Why have I decided not so subscribe? Because I already have lists from counties they don’t mention and using their list to pick off the easy counties has resulted in more work already than we can do over here. But I would like a peek at their list to see if it is the same lousy formats as the counties, or is it a proper database?

ADDENDUM
           When is the replacement for the Internet show up? It’s overdue. The existing version is a platform for liars, idiots, and the self-infatuated. I left a video up while doing the dishes and it was some dipstick showing early photos of Paris, Moscow, and other big cities. There were no people, which he said is proof of aliens because even by modern standards these places were heavily populated in 1850. I glanced up as he displayed dozens of pictures of churches and big buildings with nobody in sight.
           Now in case somebody who doesn’t belong reading this blog ever gets this far, the explanation is that in 1850, photographs took so long to expose, often for hours. So taking shots of buildings show up, but not anybody walking around or passing by. Even portraits of the time rarely show people smiling because grinning like an idiot for an hour or more was not perfected until the George W. Bush administration.

Last Laugh