Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, December 6, 2021

December 6, 2021

Yesteryear
One year ago today: December 6, 2020, Florida indoor flea market.
Five years ago today: December 6, 2016, he has no tape measure.
Nine years ago today: December 6, 2012, mostly mechanical.
Random years ago today: December 6, 2008, left bicycle handlebar.

           Progress, I may finally have found a use for the so-called cloud. I spent a good chunk of today navigating around Georgia and I see somebody has been here before. I’m still learning,and see how learning to read these listings has other implications. Looking over the offerings, the data is peanuts for me to segment with some of those on-line. For now, there is plenty of work setting things up and learning the system myself. The nature of this business is that I finally, today for the first time in my life, have on-line banking. Am I behind the times, or do I know something the other’s don’t? I would, on my own, never link the Internet to a bank account. As it stands, this one is very carefully controlled. The balance is $4,466.00, and just about anybody could now find that out.
           In typical millennial fashion the on-line statement is upside down and contains idiotic gems like your average balance. Shoot the tard that came up with that one. I have a spot of good news. Let me predicate this with the situation. The van is running okay enough that I wanted to keep it. The randomly missing piston is not due to engine damage, but a sensor, so I’ll drive it until it craters if need be. What I didn’t care for was the $12,000+ cost of replacing the van with something having similar qualities. See this picture? It’s that speaker set I found at the thrift for three bucks. It has a light show and Bluetooth, and has now become my main speaker system in Tennessee. Not that powerful, but great sound. It has a line in, so lwe’ll soon see if it will play both music and bass at the same time.

           I ran into a snag when I could not renew my registration without that emissions test. Well, on the way down Dodson Chapel this morning, the van suddenly, as it is wont to do, began running fine, which it can do for several hundred miles at a time. I immediately made a u-turn into the testing center and passed. Woo-hoo! The van is now registered and insured, I don’t care now as long as it runs, because each day it does well, we get ahead. Along with the business lunch on the credit card and now banking, the next few months should bring a series of firsts.
           The funny thing is, these so-called firsts are insecure activities that I rejected as much as 30 years ago, and I approach them as a game the systems tricks people into playing. When the currency crunch happens, this account will act as the bait. Put another way, it could be fun watching people who have complied all along and only think they can switch back to a cash-only world. There’s a lot more that has changed on them than they suspect.

           One of the security questions for this on-line banking was what is my greatest fear. Their head office will be thinking and talking about my answer for years to come. That will teach them to be so nosy. Suffice to say I was brutally honest about that. To anyone who thinks I am behind the times, let’s have a laugh at the 30 million users of Life360, the parents who use cell phones to track their teens. The company has been selling your location data since day one. Seems you are not the only ones who wants to know where your teens are. Ha, you just keep right up with the times, and the times will keep up with you. Morons.

Picture of the day.
Organic limes.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Around late morning a bitter cold front moved in. Even the doggies did their business super fast. My intensive studies that last few days means I’m no company and even declined a dinner invitation for later. It’s getting colder by the hour and I’m no longer adaptable to cold. I had a huge series of printouts to go over, so I promised her a big dinner tomorrow. I must get back to my own office, it is somewhat better equipped for paper-shuffling. I contacted Trent for advice, alas, he is not licensed in Georgia. He lives much closer to the state line and a lot of the documents are only available in person. Never mind about that, it will become clearer in time.
           It’s not all work and no play. I’m still reading that 1950s book on the early days of atomic energy. The ideas that are now forgotten were top research projects at the time. They predicted electricity would be free because it would cost morer to meter it thn produce it Anybody who knows the power companies can see why that idea got nowhere.

           Other fantasical ideas were economically mining seawater and irrigating deserts. Here is a diagram from the book showing an atomic heater. The challenge is the trade-off between adequate power and the weight of required shielding. For some reason I never knew, there has been no research I know of concerning the sheilds since I can remember. There is a way, no doubt, but nothing seems done about it.
           The book talks about atomic airplanes, an idea that has been totally rejected. I once had this idea about a hot air balloon, but more like a blimp.. This book talks about powering “dirigible engines”, but my idea was to use a small heater to keep the air hot. Hey, I was around ten years old at the time. And did not suspect the first half of my life would be consumed just staying alive and after that catching up. This Montgolfier balloon idea has been kicked around, but to me as a kid, I was a world- famous inventor, the Baron Munchausen of the bicycle set.

           In other science, Canon has announced a camera that can take pictures in the dark. This is not new technology, but them getting it to work. The lenses cost around $1,000 each and work on the principle that light is a particle as well as a wave. Thus, a photon can be detected and used to cause a larger electrical pulse. That’s why it is called SPAD for single photon avalanche diode. You can look it up, but you can’t look up the implications because all you’ll get is talk. What is really going on is these diodes can detect the distance the photon has travelled.
           Huh? That’s correct, these lenses have the potential to “see”in 3D. All particles known are subject to the Doppler effect and the ability to see depth on a flat screen lens opens more that a few doors for the military. Nothing is said about this but you can bet your arse they are in it up to, well, up to the eyeballs. Imagine a robot that can see better than the human eye, and soon you can stop imagining.

           How about the news out of Canada? People returning from abroad are being clamped into quarantine hotels without basic food and water, threatened with $750,000 fines, and being isolated by teams of government clones in Red Cross haz-mat suits. In typical Canadian fashion, they are being held without being arrested, are read their rights and told they are etitled to a lawyer. This folks, is the arrogance of a people who accuse Americans of being arrogant.
           More news of yet another Trump social media launch. This is getting tiresome. But the fun part is watching the leftoids panic over it. Like the leftist media, Trump mostly repeats the same things ad nauseum, but that’s where the Democrats go haywire. You see, people listen to Trump and not to the Democrats, which infuriates them to hell. These alternate social media startups tend to sputter to a halt after a few million users but the Bidenistas can never relax knowing that even one of them succeeding will blast their carefully owned mainstream media out of the water.

ADDENDUM
           Get a load of CNN. That potato head guy and others are now complaining about the parallel economy that is emerging. Them damn conservatives, as they call them, are not buying into the leftstream narrative. Duh? The left is bitching how conservatives are creating their own news services, phones, media sites, etc. Worse,they are doing these things to “circumvent” the leftist plans for their lives.
           How dare them!

           I never used Twitter, recognizing it for what it was on day one. That bunch is undergoing some unwelcome changes. They are finding out that while you can buy politicians, when it comes to getting your money back, it arrives with strings attached. I never paid much attention to frog accounts, but I might now. When the commies start banning something, it is usually worth a look. (Frog accounts are, from a left wing viewpoint, anything right wing.) It is hard to believe after all the censoring that people still use Twitter.
           The funny part is that people who are banned on Twitter are discovered that they are blocked from closing their accounts. Ha, double serves them right.

Last Laugh