Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, May 2, 2022

May 2, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: May 2, 2021, Stephan is an AOL.
Five years ago today: May 2, 2017, did I say ‘doggerel”?
Nine years ago today: May 2, 2013, even if talentless.
Random years ago today: May 2, 2007, he won 16 in a row.

           So the first move of the Ministry of Truth is to require identification to log on to the Internet. Few things could signal faster that the Democrats missed that boat, losing an election to Trump over it, and now moving to crush it because they cannot plug the free speech sites. Is any of this true? I don’t know, I saw it on the Internet. The threat, however, is real. I still have my active supply of accounts set up before anything was required. Who is the conspiracy theorist?
           That aroma is ten pounds of chicken quarters on the stove, with onions and the usual others. Within the next hour a chicken quarter found its way into a breakfast of fried rice with all the extras. Here is the not-so-secret ingredient, with backup supply. The maple syrup is fake, it’s Karo with maple flavoring. I’ve yet to hear a complaint. I don’t use much syrup, even on pancakes I prefer peanut butter.

           The Ministry of Information is getting flak from all sides. Nobody wants or needs somebody to “combat” misinformation, since there is no definition of what that is. One thing for sure, every traditional and time-worn tactic the far left tries these days is exposed within minutes, never achieving the massive head-start on the truth they used to count on. This whole Ukraine thing has fooled nobody important, but it created an opening in the vaccine mandates that was quickly overwhelmed by information that will be very difficult for them to switch back on.
           Today, my only plan is to get the van ready for a trip. Anytime is fine, but first if those tires. The ones on the van are a set that came with it and already have been to Tennessee, so I own them nothing. The other tires are a nice $400 set but I don’t know if they are the correct model. I want the situation right before I leave. I wonder if the donut from the Chrysler will fit.

           Later, no it won’t fit. Nor will the tires. Closer examination overruled my memory as the tires on the Chrysler are big 17” models, a truck tire. The KIA has 16” rims so I headed over to Winter Haven to do some shopping around. The dealership is also going to look at the cruise control and why the horn won’t beep. It’s a fuse problem but swapping out fuses doesn’t work but it is something related. And remind me to get a spare key. Nobody has KIA blanks.
           Another conference with Tennessee and we are going to change our tactics slightly while house-shopping. I should say property, not house, we cannot afford a house anywhere in Davidson, Williamson, or Wilson [Counties]. Instead, wave some cash around and see what comes along. Somebody, somewhere out there, is

                      A) desperate
                      B) hates real estate agents
                      C) needs $30,000 right now

Picture of the day.
Seabed wind turbine pile drill.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           I got the van scheduled for a checkup at the dealership and placed an order for two new tires. The size I have isn’t a popular item, it seems, so they will not arrive until Wednesday morning. On the van, they are checking a couple things still under warranty from the purchase, like why the horn won’t work even if I swap out the fuse. (Later, turns out I got the wrong fuse, the layout diagram was for a newer model year.)
           There, this is what ten pounds of boiled chicken looks like. Takes my two biggest pots, but might as well get it all done at once. I’m packing a lunch for the trip, since I skimping due to gas prices. This inflation is a powder keg for the Democrats, nobody is buying that nonsense it is due to Trump or the Russians. It is to pay back their election donors. And the movie “2000 Mules” is devastating to their platform. Meanwhile, it costs $74 to tank up the van.

           While waiting on prices and estimates, I stopped in for coffee at the library. It was somewhere between interesting and dismaying to hear a group of students talking about their economics assignment. Part of the reason you go to school is to learn reality and in the process you lose childish notions of how things work. One of the most common fallacies is that old people put money in the bank to lend it to young couples for mortgages, and after the bank’s tiny cut, the people live off their interest. When I was nine, I had saved up enough money (I think it was only $11) to make $.02 cents interest in six months. I saw the entry on my bank book and had to as what it was. All that did was set of a chain reaction around the house, but that’s another tale from the trailer court.
           The thing is, I sat down and calculated how much I would have to have in the bank to “make $100” in six months. This involved hundreds of manual calculations and that is why I remember so clearly the interest rate was 3.75%. I not know about taxes or exactly how compounding worked, but the answer was ten years. I know I wanted to go to university, so I figured out how long to make $100 per month, that is $600 in six months. You needed $5 to open an account in those days and I figured I could save $5 per month. Nor did I know interest rates changed, I though the more you had the higher they’d pay you. The answer was 1988. I could afford university by saving up for 25 years.
           Yeah it’s crazy, and I also thought nobody in the world except Kings had that much money. So imagine my thoughts when I heard these teens talking about how bad the “American Way” was. They all had this concept fixed in their minds, that the American way was inefficient and that is what causes all the economic woes of today. They’d been indoctrinated, when in fact the American way made this the wealthiest country in history. Things got bad after businesses started getting “efficient” in this say. Instead of quitting the bad practices, they quit doing the good ones. They quit checking your tire pressure, made you return things to the factory, and stand in long lines to return things. To these teens, this extra service was not going the extra mile that made America great, but a waste of resources. They are in for a long, difficult third-world life experience.

ADDENDUM
           Today I required another period of recovery. That single work day last week was the cause, and now I’m wondering. In my life, the majority of work I did was to an alarm clock schedule. I was careful to never knock myself out at work. Yet if this last week is an indication, I may have been particularly harmed by that behavior. This extended recovery is in many ways the same as after a heart attack. Could I be looking at the same thing the wrong way? Unless they discover a miracle cure, my working days are history. My logic here is less than linear, but have I been blaming the extended recovery on the wrong thing, or is it possible the recovery, when suppressed, is what causes heart problems? I’ll think it over.
           Meanwhile, I clicked on a site saying live rally coverage and got a newsreel of Walter Cronkite talking about Pearl Harbor. What a pack of lies, but that’s what sold America on World War Two.

Last Laugh