Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, July 6, 2022

July 6, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: July 6, 2021, working away.
Five years ago today: July 6, 2017, beware the Everglades.
Nine years ago today: July 6, 2013, Hollywood Golf Club.
Random years ago today: July 6, 2016, a varied read.

           Baked grits, eggs & coffee, it is 5:30AM. I just realized I did not publish the daily list of books I threw out. I forgot, and they got donated so it becomes a mystery of the age. I’ve got a crooked mailbox post to content with and it has decided to be a windy day. There’s the tilting mailbox, just a bit too much to ignore. Talking myself into another coffee,
           I watched a documentary on the French Char tank. It is wrong to thing the Germans had bigger and better tanks, the Char embodied most features of later tanks except sloping armor. Make it half the size and twice the speed and it looks like a Czech T38.
Tampa radio reports California will out-law owner-operator truckers by the weekend. To stay in business, they must become employees, I have no idea how California has the clout to make such laws. The railroads can’t step in as they’ve been paid to retire rail cars. Expect food prices to double as once again, the radical left shoots itself in both left feet again.

           Working straight through until noon, I wonder how that nice breeze knew to stop when I got out there. She was a sweatbox while I hauled all the trimmings to the back yard, along with the decorative bricks. I piled all the pallet lumber nicely. The “wrong” pallets now that I know what to look for, I loaded back on the van to drop off where I got them.
           After stocking up the shed mini-fridge, I placed the lumber for the new doorsteps, realizing I will have to reinforce the foundation as well, turning it into a bigger job. I’ve got enough records now to know that this yard requires a half-hour maintenance per day. But it is better to get in a full hour every second day. I moved the last of the hillbilly’s gear under the tarp and tidied up around the yard area visible from the street. I cannot easily forgive Agt. R for never keeping his commitment to mind the yard a bit while I was away, even though I realize he can’t reliably do anything much.

           The crick is still bothering me. Here is a picture of the stepping stool that did me in. See how the stubby leg in the lower right corner bent? That was just enough for my foot to break the missing plank on the left. The fall hit my right hip and left shoulder. I’m moving around and working but if I stop, it can be a painful sequence to get going again. I’ve got enough cuttings and clipping around back for a decent fire, so get ready for any time now.
           The other side of the yard looks like a mini-lumber yard. This is the wood from the neighbor’s tree house, now mostly cleaned and stacked. First thing I need is a set of those little sawhorses I made up in Tennessee. They are only 18” above the ground but can’t be beat for ease of use and storage. I’m surprised how much I got done with just that.

           Japan introduces fines and possible prison for cyberbullying. In a culture where suicide is too often a career option, they are charging on-line insults. That somebody could be insulted to death tells a bit about Internet mentalities everywhere. They got their skull-breaker challenge, the Benadryl challenge, and the milk crate challenge. The appeal to low-IQ types is unquestionably incredible. Right up there with the black-out challenge. Yes folks, it’s time to cull the herd.

           Europe has ordered Prime to make it easier to quit. The part I like is not just the legislation but how it dictates the process can require no more than two mouse-clicks. I would like to see this applied across the board. No doubt the web pages will fight back by requiring huge forms to be filled out before each click, but it’s a step in the right direction. Arizona’s lack of water is in the news again, people are drilling thousand-foot dry wells. People nearby with water say that is not their problem, you don’t buy a house in the middle of the desert without asking about the water supply. But as the meme goes, beware of stupid people in large numbers. There’s talk of taking the water by eminent domain.
           Saudi Arabia is growing alfalfa in the American desert. They have pumped the aquifers dry in their own country. The alfalfa hay, which requires huge amounts of water, is said to be for their diary industry, but I can tell you first hand dairy products are not much of their diet. Traditionally they had no way to preserve milk in the desert heat. The reality is most of the hay is for feeding their vast herds of prize race horses but they are not about to admit to that. Yep, only in America do they allow growing rice and alfalfa in the middle of the desert. In the middle of a water crisis.

Picture of the day.
Pro laser sight fishing slingshot.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Ah, siesta has me rested enough to work the rake in the front yard. If this was Greece, this kind of work will soon be tracked with a “digital labor card”. Sold by the claim of guaranteeing fair pay for overtime, it is really a crack down on undeclared work. Americans familiar with what happened with their social security numbers recognize the danger instantly. It is one part of a larger plan to control private lives. While I understand that everybody should pull their weight, I also know I would not want my goals to be defined by majority rule of my peers.
           For a successful society, you must allow ambitious people more leeway than average, there, I said it.
See picture, this is from England, I believe. It is half pounds of cheese with anti-theft spiders. The food-shortage hoax is several months more advanced over there and theft has become commonplace for the lower working class. That’s most of the country these days. Gasoline has risen to $2 per liter, or over $7.50 per US gallon. That country is so depleted and socially immobile that there is no wiggle room left in people’s finances. Meanwhile, the hoi polloi cannot be trusted around cheese.

           We will see severe shortages in America, especially for highly perishable things. It’s worrisome as the population here is not as docile and thanks to the Internet, they know exactly who to blame and who to target. There’s a noticeable increase in how well-organized the resistance has become and November is considered a deadline. If the rigged election people do not grab absolute control by then, it is either a drawn-out battle of attrition or a short, sharp confrontation. Myself, I find both options acceptable if it means a return of liberties.
           I got exactly 45 minutes work done before the rain but it was pretty productive. That’s some raking, moving the dryer, throwing scraps in the pile for incineration, swearing at Paki telemarketers in Urdu, and measuring out the final pieces for the door steps. Dang, I have to make some cuts I don’t want to from lumber reserved for the water tank. Maybe I can turn this into a chance to go downtown or over to Bartow. And stop for a couple on the return leg.

           Remember “Snow Crash”? It was one of the first audio books I listened to in the Taurus? I figured it would never be a movie because it features sex with a female that is younger than most lawyers could ever get, so they outlawed it. Well, it seems the wild tale of skateboarding delivery workers has a big web presence, including virtual reality. Apparently it predicted many VR features not yet otherwise conceived. I have no time to look further, but I recall the story was long and exhausting, winding up on some aircraft carrier. I’m re-reading “Reapers” because I forgot it almost exactly five years ago.
           What I remember most about the book “Reaper” so far is it is one of those bindings that never stays open. Set the book down, you loose your place, yet the thing will find one spot and keep turning there by itself. Millennialization.

ADDENDUM
           That’s interesting, many people’s IQs begin to decline after they turn 68. I’ll let you know. NASA has lost a satellite. It was intended to orbit where the gravity of the Earth and Moon are equal and serve as a relay for parties on the lunar surface. That’s $33 million down the drain if they can’t re-link. Yep, 50 years later and NASA still can’t build a fail-safe satellite.

Last Laugh

           x margin-bottom: 1em; margin-right: 1em; margin-top: 1em; margin-left: 1em;