Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, August 27, 2022

August 27, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: August 27, 2021, remember Cody?
Five years ago today: August 27, 2017, the park in Mulberry.
Nine years ago today: August 27, 2013, on Taylor Swift.
Random years ago today: August 27, 2009, remember the lagoon?

           Finally, I rolled out of the sack without back pain until I noticed it. Yes, I said that right. Does this mean getting anything done today? You look out that window and decide. That’s soggy terrain. Here’s a descriptive view of the cabin from an angle formerly blocked by undergrowth. These camphor trees quickly grow to four or five times the height of your roof and regularly shed 200 pound limbs. Notice the barbed wire fence and how the cabin rests on concrete blocks. The circular attic vent is not decoration, but a Florida necessity. The privacy fence blocks anybody seeing my laundry deck from the street. Four large trees and limbs were removed from what you see here.
           Soon, seven of the smaller branches seen here are to be lopped off. Only one is visible overhanging the peak of my roof, but all that pose a danger have to go. These trees can grow almost sideways to reach the sun. This can put all the weight on one side and make them easy to topple. These trees get gigantic compared to the size of your house.

           In other news, silver ceases fluctuating. Or, I should say the rate of fluctuation has fallen below my spreadsheet tracking. Once more proving silver is the most manipulated commodity in history. While lots of BitChute items uptick my news filters, I don’t read BitChute because their pages don’t get past my spam and spyware filters. By mid-morning, there is increasing cloud cover. That might mean a cool break. The humidity will still be a pain, but if there is shade, I’m out there. Check back.
           Two hours but I got the second sawhorse built. I set them out in the sun to dry, pallet lumber often is soaked. I was offered $20 for the pair, which I declined. But at $30, I would have considered it. I custom built each of these pieces which accounted for an hour of back and forth. If I was to built them, I’d set up a jig and turn out two pair per hour. I would have to cost them, which I don’t know because I got the pallet skid 2x4”s for free and the deck screws were salvaged from the tree house.

           Here is a view of the workshed approximately a year, with the typical clutter you can associate with my work habits. But make no mistake, this is something I’ve always wanted and I regret not having something like this 40 years ago. It would cost too much to move. Yes, more of my time is yard work than when I rented, but nothing like a decent workshed was possible under that situation. Most of the work gets done on that table in the center, which was not meant to be there.
           Howie was over and we talked about the hot dog cart. I think he should wait because he is retiring soon. I have 22 years experience being retired and know it takes a couple of years to get adjusted. I know what he’s thinking and I may caution him not to plan anything else. He does have to paint his house which is two stories. The reason for no insulation is often these houses were designed to have air up the walls by convection but that barely works at best. Anyway, he would have to rent a bucket lift to get up there, it is too tall for ladders. I asked him to tell me when he’s planning that and maybe we could rent it together and work twice as fast. The cutting part on my trees would not take more than 30 minutes. The cleanup would take at least a week and I can prove it.
           He was unaware of what the orange cable was all about, turns out very few people knew. The city has free WiFi but we are a few blocks out of range. I don’t sign contracts, so that doesn’t affect me but it does seem unfair that I support the system via taxation. Speaking of taxation, the Biden administration has begun a propaganda campaign to convince people the trouble we are in is progress, you know, teething pains. It’s bringing only ridicule, as if anyone believes 18 months of accumulated failures a positive. It sure shook out the system, but not in the way that was needed. Too many businesses were being operated on nearly zero equity and tons of credit of which many did little but circumvent taxes.

           If you ask me, the businesses that survived could be calculated as a ratio of just how much equity they did have. You could graph the failure to success gradient and find it is a pretty straight line, from those who failed the first month with zero equity up to those not affected at all, such as myself with 100% equity. Thus, the claims being made by the White House are fooling nobody. And worse for Joe, they are drawing attention to both his personal and the entire party’s incompetence. What’s more, they are proving diversity is business’s worst own enemy.
           This comes on the heels of polls and confessions about the 2020 election. A whopping 78% of Americans, regardless of how they voted, say that if they had known about the laptop, Trump would have won the election. The people that suppressed the news are now under scrutiny. Worst, barely one American in ten believes what Joe says about the laptop and/or what he says about Trump. He’s simply lied too often.

Picture of the day.
High-grade titanium ore.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Another good cloud cover and I was out there three hours. Here’s photo of the new two new sawhorses already put to work. It was 84% humidity and 84ºF, classified as tolerable. Just visible is the carpet runners over the top plate to prevent scratching delicate materials, but also to make everything easier to slide. The blower is propped on the incinerator to hurry things along and wreck all my cinder blocks, ha-ha. The convenience of this burner has long paid for all the cement.
           It was a two-beer fire, mostly leftovers that I didn’t feel like hauling out to the front, so it was down to embers in maybe 90 minutes. The flames can be seen from inside the shed, but I stayed out here. Two Yueng-Lings but I opted for a third to make sure the embers were completely out. I’m very safety conscious if the beer is ice cold, which is explained by the new mini-fridge in the shed. Remind me to stock up tomorrow, September is a long month every time. Meanwhile, Nigeria becomes the first country to ban white models in all advertising.

           The fire burned until an hour after dark. It’s been since early May since I was downtown on a Saturday, so off to Karaoke. Did I mention I have a fan club? Maybe six people, but you have to start somewhere. These are also one of the crowds that showed for our gig at the craft brewery. I’m so terrible with names, but their leader says I will always remember her name because of “Breakfast at Tiffany’s”. She’s right, but who would name their daughter “Breakfast”.
           Getting there late, I had time for three songs. A duet with the barmaid and some country. Most of the crowd were army types on furlough so I chose tunes for comic relief. That connected well and I have videos, mind you the cameraman needs a lot of pointers. It was a smashing success which had some excellent unplanned scenes. Remember I’m still advertising for a rhythm player and these days they want to see video. What happened was the DJ had a short delay finding my tune as I walked to the stage. The camcorder was running so there is a good ten or twelve seconds of the crowd chanting my name that overlaps the beginning of the song. Could not have planned it better, I’ll get some excellent promo footage out of this one.
           But I’d still rather be playing. Wilford showed up and as predicted, the nursing course has him running ragged. From what he described I recall most of the law courses I took (mostly business law). The material isn’t that difficult, but it is presented in a confusing manner and the emphasis is on moving on as fast as possible. Worse, a lot of the beginning material is no longer relevant but is there due to hide-bound tradition. Though you’ll never use it, they always put it on the exam. Like wiring color codes and old tube designations that were out of date 30 years ago, they make you learn it to pass.

ADDENDUM
           So, late in the book “Gold Coast Pioneer”, we begin to see that Hortt was not at all as self-made as he starts off. There are inconsistencies in the book that give away too much. He has almost a photographic memory for prices of individual plots of land twenty years later, but in the next paragraph talks about being broke. But he talks about broke in the way that rich people do, meaning they are short on spot cash. The dead giveaway is when he describes how other people made the same mistakes he did, they wound up “selling flowers on the post office steps for the rest of their lives”.
           In other words, they did not have oodles of cash to fall back on. I admit I watch for these wee contradictions due to have read so many travel books by rich authors. They are so ingrained against talking about money that they see no difference when you ask what the hotel cost and asking to the penny how much they inherited. Hortt begins to travel after his wife dies and that’s where the hotels come in. The ones where he stays, he is always meeting mayors, presidents, governors, investors, actresses, and factory owners. My guess is your average real estate agent in Florida does not get invited to spend a week on the yacht most everywhere he goes.
           Yet I have no reason to doubt these things are going on for Hortt. You see, the rest of the book is amazingly accurate. He is currently on a tour of South America, following the same route as the Prince of Wales. And his descriptions of the countryside is astonishingly accurate. He can say to the third decimal point what the exchange rate is, but won’t say how he and 24 pals rented a steamship built for 600 passengers for a private tour of the Amazon River one afternoon.

Last Laugh