Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, August 28, 2022

August 28, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: August 28, 2021, I didn’t buy it.
Five years ago today: August 28, 2017, Grateful Dead, meh.
Nine years ago today: August 28, 2013, go solo, they say.
Random years ago today: August 28, 2012, we chose Da Vinci.

           Let’s do some repairs today. Quiet repairs, I mean, it’s pretty early. You know those Airstream tow campers, the shiny metal ones? I priced one out and they cost around four times as much as this cabin these days. Over $60,000 plus tax for the smallest. I often wonder about the design, since all I’d need it for is sleeping. I don’t need interior closet space or a dining table that seats four. Are you camping or holding board meetings? One hour later, it is just too nice a morning to work. So I got to planning my ideal camper. I don’t need a home away from home, since to me a camper is mainly to avoid the American hotel/motel cartel. In the end, I came up with an empty shell.
           At any rate, I’d camp in my nice van anyway. I’m spoiled and want something I can sit upright in and read or write. I have a small fridge, the type that food has to be already cold, but that’s no hassle because I generally only snack on the road. I need a small cot. I’ll soon invest in a Kodiak battery for all the cooking and coffee I’ll need, and that unit will run any heating or cooling I’d need. I have yet to see a vehicle that has a convenient pee-hole in the back, for those of us who only have to go once.

           In fact, there’s my KIA now that you can see it from the church yard. Two more of these trees are being cut back, which I should be doing today. Instead here I am planning a major trip now that the van has proven semi-reliable. Any appliance I choose will be electric, since my ability to sleep through almost anything says no open flames inside the unit. The Kodiak has 120V outlets. I call them Kodiaks but they are known as portable electricity generators, something they are not. The one model that stands out it the Yeti, in various sizes with prices to match. User reports that these products decline after five years of normal usage.
           Being curious, I looked at what coding is doing these days. I see that FRAMEWORKS has come out on top. I don’t know much about it, but I’m glad I got out of programming before being subjected to this. Over time, even the dullest people realize that C+ code cannot be fixed, so they add layer after layer of protocols in an effort to smooth over the rough spots. The FRAMEWORKS code itself looks like Ruby, which looks like C+ with less punctuation. But it is still unreadable without training because all these “languages” use commands that are not descriptive.

           Ruby has at least seven ways to sum two numbers, none of which do a simple addition. The worst example I read had to loop as many times as there were numbers and would balk if any two numbers were the same. These commands, which they have renamed methods, do work, but each one is prone to error if taken even slightly out of context. That’s likely, because these fixes are sold by claims the coder no longer has to start from scratch, meaning he is cutting and pasting code. That is placing blind trust in some remote stranger of unknown capability.
           My understanding is you define a task, then use FRAMEWORKS to create a blank model of your approach. Then you add and tweak snippets of code that modify what’s happening. To me, this is what should have been done at your flowchart stage. It’s amusing to me how they did away with flowcharting, created the bloody mess called object-oriented programming, and are now trying to restore some of what they lost. Interesting, because approaching that problem with FRAMEWORKS only causes all the coders on a project to make the identical mistakes.
           It’s even funnier to watch them market these products. How they gush how well the software fixes problems that should never have been there in the first place. Where have you probably seen FRAMEWORKS in use? Websites. When you get countless sites and pages that have the same general appearance, that’s probably what is going on. They used to call them templates but that is so last century. As for the whole concept, not for me. Most programs move data. It is one thing to not have to worry about the details, but quite another to not have any clue how the details work.

Picture of the day.
Paris apartments.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           I’m off the hook. All the rain that didn’t fall the past three days is here. My history booklet shows another change of tack, now that Hortt is remarried and retired. He manages to spend time in Cuba prior to the revolution, but wisely clears out when bombs start exploding nearby. Many people don’t know there is oil in Cuba, in fact some of it is so pure they just boil it and put it into their cars. In some places, near-gasoline pours out of the ground like spring water. Hortt is showing an inconsistency, yet there ia a pattern to it I can’t quite see yet.
           He’ll describe real estate deals netting him hundreds of thousands of dollars, but in the next few pages describe how proud he is gyping the railway company for $3.80 by buying two one-way tickets. He gets elected president of the Rotary Club and then squawks when he has to pay for his own sandwich. He’s a Mormon, so the obvious conclusion doesn’t fit. While present throughout the book, this theme becomes steady at round 250 pages onward.

           There was a documentary on Bluegrass, where I noticed it must have been filmed at the exact same time I was in the downtown Old Opry, possibly around the same time of day. I had been in the Nashville library for a few hours and then walked down Broadway, pausing to watch any unusual sidewalk acts, and sure enough, there they were, within minutes of my passing. The footage was used in a documentary “Down From The Mountain”, so I wonder if I’m in it. I did not know that by law, all acts at the Opry must be recorded and that cameras are constantly sweeping the crowd.
           From the documentary, which by the way had only one of these acts I saw, I recalled a set of burned out lights, circled in this photo. If I was there, it was in the front balcony row where indicated by the arrow. Does this mean I can truthfully say I’ve appeared at the Grand Old Opry? Of course not because I can’t be sure because the tape is edited and other parts of the auditorium have a ledge that resembles the lighting pattern of this picture.

           Before the rain, I spotted a quite new desk chair curbsided. I got out and checked it, real wood and cloth, just sitting there. What could be wrong with it. I’ve got it home and it looks like they threw it out because the casters were broken. This is an easy fix for me and a free $200 chair. Good thing I have furniture, as the eviction moratorium lapses next month (don’t quote me). The issue is the millions of people who can then be thrown out on the streets. The question is will that happen, because if they can’t afford rent now, they can’t afford what’s coming.

ADDENDUM
           Artemis, the NASA heavy booster, has cleared for launch. I hear the first mission is uncrewed and that is another can of worms. Initially the launches will cost $4 billion each and they are just not worth that much. It’s pork-barrel all the way. The University of Missouri seeks to have social exclusion tagged as a form of bullying. No more choosing your own friends, Spike. The President’s mumbling and bumbling answers to questions and events is now being pushed as “wholesome”. Nature.com says all the tropics will now be scorched by deadly heat waves. The trend is to predict things so far into the future that if they are wrong, they’ll also be dead.
           I’ve mentioned before how Canadian law can be changed to get a conviction. Now it can be changed to overturn one. The law requires people with HIV to inform sex partners in advance. Well, not of you are a woman with a sob story and take enough pills that somebody in a clinic miles away says you are not infectious at that moment. Jennifer was released from a three year sentence for sexual assault on that one. This is typical of Canadian double-speak, in this case somebody else’s calculated odds overrules a threat to your life.
           And I’ll issue this warning because I’ve not been as direct about it in the past as I should have been. When Wal*Mart advertises something and you find out it is not in stock, but ordered from a third party, walk away. Do not buy it. Wal*Mart is very aware of rip-offs going on in this area. New York requires ID to buy Reddi-Whip desert topping. The canisters contain nitrous oxide, or laughing gas. America rolls on the floor laughing listening to the chimp-out when the EBT (food stamp) system stops working. Some say it was not a glitch.

Last Laugh