Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, November 3, 2022

November 3, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: November 3, 2021, when asked.
Five years ago today: November 3, 2017, recruiting the best.
Nine years ago today: November 3, 2013, pure adventure.
Random years ago today: November 3, 2016, there’s too many trees.

           This is why I don’t like to work outside after dark, even when I have trouble lights. Last evening I stopped just as the twilight was disappearing and I put everything under tarps, except a bale of insulation. It began to sprinkle so I threw it onto the laundry deck. Not many people look up when it rains and I didn’t. A edge of the bale was sticking out far enough to get wet. It did. Sometimes you can dry this stuff out. I hope so. This morning, by dividing the work up into two-hour chunks, I got the old siding and tarpaper down, and I’m almost done with putting up the insulation.
           Oddly that north wall of the silo, using the worst materials, is the best built. It’s simple, that’s the part I get to when I have the most experience. I even know the best way to lay out the tools, so I’m working beside the birdfeeders most of the time. And the titmouses must have migrated or something. All ten or fifteen are gone. In their place we have Mrs. Downey and occasionally her spouse. Did you know eve the tamest of wild birds only get 20% to 25% of their diet from available birdfeeders. The rest is foraged.

           So, let’s talk birdies unless you want to hear about tarpaper some more. Junior red, the northern cardinal, and his girlfriend share the feeder where I put extra large wooden perch sticks. I understand it is instinct that pair-bonded birds rarely feed at the same time. Here is some curious behavior. It’s Mr. Downey and he’s flying back and forth between the seed feeder and a hole in the post. The posts have holes drilled where the old carriage bolts were on the tree fort. I believe these birds rest in natural hollows and this one is too small. Maybe he's mimicking feeding chicks, if so, ha, fooled ya buddy. Gotta git a girlfriend first.
           Yet, if you examine footage, it looks like he’s feeding a nest. Nope, just eating, sorry for the poor quality footage but you can easily see this back and forth. Up to twenty minutes a day. My non-ornithological background can’t explain this except that’s the way he likes his chow. Careful examination of the bolt-hole show it has not changed. This has gone on for a number of days, if it keeps on more than a week or two, I’ll ask around.

           English history, from Romans to French, I’m still looking at documentaries and have lost my place. I’m now up to the time of real Viking invasions rather than raids. Too many Ragnars and Lothmars for me to follow. It’s a mystery what there was to raid, since England was primarily a feudal agricultural society and the women not all that pretty. But damn, if you want history, the place is chock full of it.
           In morning news, Adobe and Pantone are being blasted for tacking on a fee that hits existing users who felt they had already paid. A waki swiped $17 million from Apple, which could not have happened if I was there because I’d watch every waki like a hawk. He was shipping himself stuff, repackaging it, and selling it back to Apple. Fire the purchasing department, I say. MicroSoft is again toying with the idea of a cheap laptop paid for by advertising and rental software. It may work, some people never learn.
           An unconfirmed report says Musk is about to fire half of the Twitter staff. It’s open season on woketards. And another saying Michael Jackson was murdered because he was about expose some Hollywood creeps.

Picture of the day.
Texas hay farm.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Another successful two hour work, though I could point out most work in my condition is very light. That did not help in my planning. A few days ago I said I had enough panels to sheath the shed. Not so fast. As it turns out, each length was just over 1-1/4” too short. If I did not want to use pieces only a foot long, I had to lop nearly 2 feet, I say nearly because the leftover piece doesn’t fit anything I’m doing. Thus, I got all the large pieces used up and still have 2 feet up to go. I’ll wind up doing what I didn’t want, which is patch it over with smaller pieces.
           For the first time in years, I’m back inside at normal quitting time, that is 4:30PM. Got my diet coke, oops there’s my roots showing. When I was growing up, all sodas were called a coke except a Pepsi. So what to do for an hour to cool down? Here’s a tube of Dr. Carver\s Easy Shave Butter. (Pssst, Ken, it’s the one on the left.)
           From the dollar shaving club (whatever that is), this is a clear gel so you can “see where you are shaving”, presumably they mean you shave with a mirror. You are to use a “strawberry-sized dollop” for every shave. The ingredients they say are natural, so I read them. Wow, a glance says there are at least 30.

           The primary ingredient is water, I’m looking at the others. They include:

cetaryl alcohol, cyclopentasiloxane, behentrimonium methasulfate, macadamia ternifolia. vitus vinifera, avena sativa kernel extract, salix nigra bark extract, aloe Barbadensis leaf extract, algae extract, carica papaya fruit extract, anana sativus pineapple fruit extract, camelia sinenesis leaf extract, panax gensing root extract, propanediol, cyclohexasiloxane, dimethicone, phospholipids, retinyl palmitate, ascorbyl palmitate, tocopheryl acetate, leuconostoc ferment filtrate, hydrolyzed barley protein, opuntia , icus-indica stem extract, citrus arantium dulcis, rosmarinus officinalis leaf oil, lavendula angustifolia oil, eucalyptic globulus leaf oil, dimethiconol, hydroxypropyl guar, h
yrdoxypropyltrimonum chlorida, disodium EDTA, ethylhexyglicine, potassium sorbate, phenoxyenthanol.

           That gave my spellchecker a headache, but what is some of this junk?

cetaryl alcohol – a coconut or palm oil wax to make things slippery
cyclopentasiloxane - evaporates quickly leaving a thin waterproof coating
behentrimonium methosulfate – made from canola oil, keeps things slippery
macadamia ternifolia – macadamia seed oil makes things shiny
vitus vinifera – grape seed oil, an anti-inflammatory
avena sativa kernel extract – fermented oat extract, makes skin glossy
salix nigra bark extract – pussy willow bark contains natural aspirin
aloe barbadensis leaf extract – a thickener
algae extract – a seaweed extract that makes skin absorb water
carica papaya fruit extract – a skin conditioner
anana sativus pineapple fruit extract – another anti-inflammatory
camelia sinenesis leaf extract – kind of like suntan lotion
panax gensing root extract – makes skin feel firm
propanediol – anti-freeze made from corn sugar
cyclohexasiloxane –prevents clogging pores and wrinkles
dimethicone – slippery silicone makes things ‘silky’
phospholipids – it’s omega-3 fatty acid
retinyl palmitate – vitamin A makes old skin cells fall off
ascorbyl palmitate – an oil form of vitamin C
tocopheryl acetate – an oil form of vitamin E
leuconostoc ferment filtrate – a preservative from radish roots
hydrolyzed barley protein – the 11th most used cosmetic additive
opuntia ficus-indica stem extract – moisturizer from prickly pear cactus
citrus arantium dulcis – skin lightener from orange peel oil
rosmarinus officinalis leaf oil – another anti-inflammatory that smells nice
lavendula angustifolia oil – an aromatherapy standard
eucalyptic globulus leaf oil – makes skin feel cool
dimethiconol – forms a slippery film on skin
hydroxypropyl guar – standard base cosmetic ingredient
hyrdoxypropyltrimonium chloride – guar gum, reduces hair static
disodium EDTA – edetic acid used as water softener
ethylhexyglicine – prevents bacteria inside bottles & tubes
potassium sorbate – allows long-term storage
phenoxyenthanol – slight flower aroma & stops ingredient separation.
ADDENDUM
           My take on the New York law of salary transparency is that it doesn’t go far enough. The popular view is that the law requires companies who post job ads to reveal a “good faith” salary range. While I am against job ads that don’t quote an expected salary, the New York law seems to me less of a solution and more a libtard stab at making it easier to compare men’s and women’s pay rates.
           Did I just say non-ornithological? Damn.

Last Laugh