Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, March 28, 2023

March 28, 2023

Yesteryear
One year ago today: March 28, 2022, harder for some people . . .
Five years ago today: March 28, 2018, the Johnny Cash museum.
Nine years ago today: March 28, 2014, my last big band.
Random years ago today: March 28, 2010, I sampled the regular.

           I’m out of the house all day. We walked the doggies early, I’m chasing around hoping to leave here in the very near future. We set up music equipment but did not jam. She’s got meetings to attend and conduct, I’m doing all the banking chores. It looks like the bank reaction when something does not reconcile is indeed to do nothing. I know the missing instrument is on some scanner in one of their offices. The good news is from such tests (medical) that have arrived over the past month, I’m showing no signs of what they were checking for. It’s mostly stuff they like to catch early, osteo, kidneys, colons, and dementia. My insurance covers it all so it makes sense they want these pre-emptive tests.


           It is with sadness I concede the passing of the era of the young American babe. I had to deal with some ugly women this morning at the checkout. I’m the first to admit I prefer good-looking women. Being a dynamite knockout used to be the norm in this country. Take a look at any pictures of the beaches before 1970. Young women basically seem to have quit being attractive in the same way. Careful, I did not say bad or good, just not the same. Pick up a 1970 yearbook or Sears catalog before any snarky replies. Because I’m not referring to anything except the way the women look. The neat thing about your own blog is you can be as shallow as you want. And oh, did I have a good time being shallow until I was 33. I’m the guy who thinks maturity is the bullshit that happens when you behave like losers say you should. It’s been a great morning so far.

           That new links law in Canada is heating up. To summarize, the establishment media want to charge the Internet media for using news from their source. Outfits that link to news sites don’t pay a fee, but that is the very premise of the Internet. I side with those users and that is very much influenced by what a bad job the establishment is doing. The real fight is over advertising revenues and I even feel I should be paid when advertising appears on computer equipment that belongs to me. There is no way those who innovate should have to pay for others who failed to do so. While those who copy and paste the news might wind up paying, that should not extend to those who merely point—which is what a link is doing.
           The problem, to be exact, is that this amounts to a tax on the links between data points or similar. I already simply avoid any site that wants payment and I’m certain places like Google would turn to automated ways of getting away from paying. I feel big media went out of their way to establish a market for themselves in advertising dollars rather than content. They publish crap and, in my opinion, spent decades setting up what they thought would be a permanent stream of easy money for themselves. Now that progress has whittled that down, they want to force an antiquated tax format on a system designed to operate in a completely different manner—and at the expense of privacy.

Picture of the day.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Not an exciting day, let’s hope for many more. I found a book on sale at the library, “Rourke’s Drift”. It concerns the events near Isandlwana. That’s the mountain most people only heard of in the movie “Zulu”, an account of the massacre in S. Africa. This book (I’m only on Chapter 2) is already a recommended read for anyone interested in historical accuracy. The movie had to play up the old good vs bad theme, which distorted a number of important details. For one, the battle is largely unknown in the nation of S. Africa, where it is correctly seen as some battle between two distant enemies.
           Another is how Chelmsford, the Brit commander, actually correctly followed all the standing military customs of the day. The British Army did not have a formal supply system until just a few years earlier and the bugs had not been fixed. One was ammunition supply. (Prior British practice was to billet soldiers in private houses, which was a major factor in America declaring independence.

           There is also the 11 Victoria Crosses awarded at Rourke’s Drift, another battle just a few miles away. True, they were outnumbered 45:1, but it is now largely recognized the awards were to distract the British public from the wipeout, which by the way, did a lot to dispel the myth of British invincibility, which was probably a factor in the Boer War a few years later.
           Opting to return to the library later, I did some research on electronics books, not to be confused with electronics. They are as badly written as I say and I could publish an informative booklet now—but choose to do more looking. For example, not one of these books tells you what to avoid buying when you start out. Keep the hell away from any soldering iron less than 40 Watts. You only need four or five sizes of resistors. And avoid SMT (surface mount technology) as long as you can.

           Later, we decided to head for Mexican food. It was so-so, most places are the same but sometimes you find a good one. Most of it seems a mix of the same basic ingredients. We had a booklet along that I thought would give great historical background on chocolate and coffee. No such luck. It was the millennial version that informed us Belgian chocolate comes from Belgium. I wanted details, like how the English added mint and the Italians added nuts. Nope.
           We also had an eye-opening chat about dating. I don’t like the way the church activities are used by old ladies for husband-hunting, but I never said why. I could care less except that for some reason I must look like husband material. For about 25 years now. It’s understood that part of it is I have no unease about showing up alone. True, men groups split up once they get there, but women are on to gang behavior.

           What’s interesting is how we listen to each other’s take on how OTHER people look at the situation. That’s not clear and I can’t help that. The Reb says men don’t like baggage and yet the reason for that baggage is men in the first place. I say not necessarily, because then all women would have the same outcome to a degree. I know plenty of women with no baggage—but they are all taken. So it is some other factor at work. The good ones are all taken for a reason.
           Then is it a lack of baggage that attracts men to younger women. I would largely but not entirely agree with that. Why? Because there is far, far more to it than the woman just being younger. I suggest the majority of women get picked over young or not, and wind up lucky to get what they can. I do not know or pretend to know the cause. But I do know if men perceive all “untaken” women to be much the same, and there is plenty of substantiation on that, why settle for anything but the youngest, prettiest one you can get your hands on? (Note the parallels when I say there are not enough good guitar players left after you turn 40?)            It is a wonderful thing, a thing of beauty, to know a woman you can discuss these things with and not have anyone pop a fuse. Got that, Theresa? Probably not.

Last Laugh