Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, July 7, 2023

July 6, 2023

Yesteryear
One year ago today: July 6, 2022, a Japanese career option.
Five years ago today: July 6, 2018, the millennial clueless contest.
Nine years ago today: July 6, 2014, he hated that question.
Random years ago today: July 6, 2004, at the U-Pick.

           As predicted, almost any movie release is handing Disney their arses. One might almost conclude certain parties are timing their releases to best lambaste the queers and they are doing one hell of a good job. Rumor has it the usual financial backers won’t bail Disney out this time, not for good reasons but because they suspect the place may go under. There are two types of big business in America, one is the solid “industrial tradition” that has the plant and equipment to survive and today’s “internet skimmers” that have no depth. Any interruption or slowdown of cash flow leaves them bleeding out. Disney managed to transform from the former to the latter in less than 30 years. They make billions per year but it requires a cash flow of millions per day to skim that off.
           Here’s the saw. I haven’t had time to unbox it. Thanks to bidenflation, it how comes without a blade or wrench. I have both though my best one was on the stolen saw, a 42T carbide unit. Maybe I’ll get to it after sunrise but I’m toying with the idea of heading for Miami any moment now. This is a $25 Harbor Freight saw and while there, I checked the price on a 1-1/4” step drill. They sell only a set which includes the bit I already have and they want $29. Forget it for now, I’ll put bigger baffles.
           I’m off to the library at opening time, if it stays this cool maybe I’ll put in some work. It depends, it you are reading this from Lakeland or from Miami. Get it from context. I bought an audio-book for the trip, a semi-documentary of the Long Range Desert Force. Produced in England, I expect it to be great propaganda. If you read a lot these days, it seems ever more people are drawing the conclusion that many Germans were motivated by the belief they were protecting Europe from invasion by an evil outside influence. And Europe is now paying the price for not letting them.

Picture of the day.
Abandoned house, Greenland.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           It was a noticeably unspectacular trip to Miami, two lightning storms and I stopped for an empanada in Clewiston. There’s a super authentic cafĂ© there called “Punta Rojo”, meaning “Red Point”, but take your wallet. The special is grilled fish and you get the whole fish, starting at around $26 plus whatever you are drinking. I was late getting away as thanks to Boost, my phone quit working. They pull this stunt every few months and the agenda is to pump you for as much personal information as possible. I might tell you what they tried this time, but I got around it by putting my old chip (SIM card) into every phone they had until one began working.
           That means I have service, but it cost me $100 and the phone is piece of crap. You pick it up and it wants to do everything except let you make a phone call. I arrived in Miami passed rush hour, which was a plus. Now I got the impression from what JZ was saying over the phone that he was unable to get things done so I was going to stay a few days and help him do the chasing around. Nope, wrong impression. He’s lived in Miami his whole life and knows all the shortcuts. So we opted for drinking coffee and watching colorized Westerns, and catching up on the news.

           It’s medical tests for me and these are highly focused on preventative measures. JZ is the guy who’s been to medical school and says these are all tests to ward of conditions that insurance companies know get expensive if not caught early. Makes sense. And you may have to return after the weekend to see any pictures here. If I post them, I’ll let you know at that time. The picture is an electric bike from the UK advertised as having a range of 150 miles. Turns out that is with pedal assist at 15 mph. Top speed in the specs is 28 mph, but I’m wary of those out of experience. So to travel 150 miles, I would have to pedal for ten hours. No thanks, plus the bike and battery weigh almost 120 pounds. Double no thanks.

Last Laugh