Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, October 5, 2023

October 5, 2023

Yesteryear
One year ago today: October 5, 2022, Red Boiling Springs
Five years ago today: October 5, 2018, eight machine guns each.
Nine years ago today: October 5, 2014, left a mop outside.
Random years ago today: October 5, 2011, I try sewing.

           Check back later, that was Ray-B on the phone. He’s sounding in the dumps so we are meeting up for coffee in Winter Haven in a half-hour. What’s causing it is loss of taste and smell. I may have had this myself a couple years back, but he had a full blown case of COVID while I’ve now had anything for around that long. I’m convinced he needs to get back into a band, cheer up. Plus, you go on-line these days and there is always some pack of half-tards who will amplify and echo-back any set of symptoms you can imagine.
           I’ll use the trip to send this month’s anti-dormancy deposit, which for history, makes JeePee the richest turtle of the Internet era. The deposits average between $38 and $39 per month for four years now. In fact, let me get you the exact figure after this deposit. That turtle’s net worth is $1,856.26. He’d have more but I patronize that coffee shop near the library. A coffee and a small cookie costs $6.13 and I have an average of four per month. Yep, $24.52 per month for four cups of coffee. America hates Biden.

           Natural hair products, as this photo shows, can be so natural that mice can eat it. I may not have much hair, but I like it kempt, and that tube for me is a two year supply. Except last time for some reason, I shoved it in the bottom drawer and it became a treat for some critter. I read the ingredients and except for sorbitol, it was mostly food. Here are the booster cables I repaired for the neighbor. He got the lithium battery as a gift and the plastic clips broke first usage. These are heavy duty end clamps for robot work, but barely adequate for boosting if you ask me. However, he says they work fine and are superior to the broken black plastic piece seen at the bottom.

           Trump has been considered for Speaker of the House. That would be a joke to end all jokes for the mainstream media. The EU has proposed outlawing the MSM as a terrorist organization. The news is full over some guy stabbed in New York, an “activist” I never heard of but I don’t feel sorry for anybody who lives in that place. Never have. There, I said it. America needs a second wall, from Gary to Virginia Beach, to seal in the whole northeast, let them stew in their own juice for a while.
           But the funniest of all is that if Trump wins the 2024, the Democrats are planning to admit he was the real winner in 2020 and therefore cannot serve a third term. It’s the same old story of human greed, they would rather burn the house down than let you have it. Well, maybe second funniest, because I told Peggy if she finds us a gig, I’d let her sing a couple. Somehow it slipped my mind she is hyper-bossy and, what’s more, took offense that I hinted she might know people on the social committees in her area. After all, she lives in a trailer court and knows other musicians who live in a trailer court. Florida’s middle name is trailer court.

Picture of the day.
Bermuda tourist trolly.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Here’s a better view of the pet blessing ceremony. This is at the San Antonio church in Punta Gorda, quite the acreage. It’s 71 miles by GPS but somehow is a 180 mile round trip. Alaine, by the way, is looking radiant these days, she has always been a people person. But at the same time, she is a practical realist about everything, so be on your best. She’s also a natural for animals, I would not be surprised to learn she is the inertia behind this event. And her pets were the best behaved, gosh some people could use a booklet on basic pet taming.
           Ray-B and I finally met for coffee and it turned into three hours catching up on some ten years. He’s hit the music doldrums same as I did in my twenties. I assured him it is a phase but avoided mentioning my phase lasted ten years. He remembered we met at the Chocolate Moose, a coffee house near NOVA back in the early 00s. He knew the Hippie and we had the same dim view of the way that guy organized things. I don’t remember Ray-B until many months later when I went to a jam session at G’s Place and he recognized me. Damn, I’ve been in Florida a long time.
           However, the productive part of the meeting was business and money. You see, Ray-B is a millennial by one year and is running into a similar problem I encountered—the people he has to compete with are ten years younger. I hit that barrier in reverse, when I finally got the degree I wanted, I was 32. So everybody I worked with who had the same degree also had ten years experience. And it is still assumed people who are younger know more about computers, when in fact they only know more about using current applications.

           Now Ray-B has the conundrum that there are more jobs available in Miami, but a one-bedroom there costs $1,600 per month. And what good is a 10% higher salary when the rent is 40% higher? I was more interested in what he had tried, and several idea had emerged. He learned HTML and coded some of those ads seen on e-mails. I’d never seen them as that is one sure way to catch hell from me. It is so simple I had trouble accepting people were paid to do that. He is a natural salesman but that is also one hyper-competitive job category. The people who make it in sales regularly mention their twelve-hour days. And if I could work that much, sure I’d be rich.
           He’s closer to what apps are popular than I am, so I assigned him to find a fractional billion service that works. See, I don’t know the on-line term, but a place that bills by the fraction of a cent per view, then transfers the money when you total goes over $200. I wrote back in the 1980s that I expected the world would eventually be full of such services—and by rights it should be. I concluded that from watching the Templeton fund. With computers, I concluded, it became practical to charge tiny fees millions of times over.

ADDENDUM
           Somebody finally made a video of Bayocean, out in Oregon. It’s one of places that turned into a ghost town for no particular reason. It was advertised as the Atlanta of the West, which I feel was hype that left it a magnet for thieves and vandals. Beware, the video is docutainment. Five minutes of great old photos and 25 minutes of old farts yakking.
           If it had been a bit more isolated, I would likely have bought a house there when they were selling for $7,900. The fact is, after 1970 all of Oregon began sliding downhill as the putrid leftovers and losers of California began migrating north for new breeding grounds. Sadly, Bayocean had been settled by people who thought just wanting to be left alone meant they did not have to defend themselves against liberalism.

           Like Miami Beach, the site is built on a sand bar, mistaken called an island. I just laugh when such places are eventually washed away. I viewed it from the mainland on the single trip up the coast road n the 1980s. I did not care for Tillamook, and kept on going. The video says the hotel and auditorium were still standing but all I saw was a sand bar. In those days, I was driving my beautiful four-door 1974 Maverick, one of the best cars I ever owned. I was lucky I could drive there, the roads mostly did not exist until quite recently and I developed a liking for the area south of Lincoln City. If you went there in the winter, which I often did, you had the place to yourself. A lady and I once rented a condo on the beach for two weeks for $400. Try that today.
           By 1984, they were still pushing the place, long after its failure as a resort. You can’t really swim in the ocean, so they even built an indoor heated seawater pool. If you’ve never seen the Oregon coast, it is rugged. The beaches are nice but the water is dangerous. The waves can be enormous and every river, inlet, bay, or spit seems to be surrounded by shipwrecks from the sand bars. Calm days are rare and most times the only ships you’ll see are the fishing boats. All commercial traffic wisely stays way out over the horizon.

Last Laugh