Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, May 27, 2024

May 27, 2024

Yesteryear
One year ago today: May 27, 2023, they don’t recognize danger.
Five years ago today: May 27, 2019, offshore millionaires.
Nine years ago today: May 27, 2015, why I chose content.
Random years ago today: May 27, 2008, not my favorite day.

           Out in the cool dawn, I worked what I figured was all day. This is not a picture of paint cans, they are being used as weights to glue half-boxes into trays. This is your clue if you want excitement, it won’t b here ine today’s entry. Check that clock, only three hours. It felt like eight. This is the blog that dares to picture glue drying. Hey, consider the background of how it got to that, I don't know anybody who even knows how to properly post such a picture. See how it is floated to the left with even margins? None of that is accidentdal. Lots of logistics today, I may finally have enough shelves for the tubes. Even had a box fall over and not one of them broke. All the radios were on about a single topic. All kinds of libtards are jumping shop, vowing eternal allegiance to Trump. Doesn’t fool anyone, but I have a new theory.
           With corrupt types, it is always about the money. It costs a lot of it o keep so many judges, mayors, police chiefs, senators, and opposition members on the payroll, and the left cannot afford even a slowdown in cash flow.
           They were always able to out-spend rivals—until Trump came along. There are regular tales of long-term Democrat strongholds falling to Trump-endorsed Republican candidates who spent less than $30,000. In the pre-Trump era, the left had passed dozens of small campaign finance laws to they would know how much the other guy had, making it possible to swoop in at the last hour and win by a few thousand votes. During the mid-terms there was some talk about how little the Trump-endorsed candidates spent, often against millions poured in by the other side. That Mike Pence guy is on-line begging for help on his $1.3 million debt after he failed and the Democrats left him standing.

           I relate it to the way Reagan dealt with the Soviets. He did not defeat them, he bankrupted them. If the Bidenistas are out of money, that would explain why none of them are campaigning. Well, okay Biden did hold a couple rallies where two hundred people showed up. They had to curtain off the stage so the cameras could not see the huge empty arena behind him. And his motorcades get heckled out of town. The point is they are failing on two major factors. One is without campaigning, they will never convince the public the race is close this time. Two, is if the race is not close, they will have to cheat by such enormous margins that the voters will likely not stomach it.
           Why not just print up more money like they used to? The inflation would either not be apparent until the following term, where if it was a Republican, they could blame it on him, if was themselves they could scream the solution is to raise taxes. Ah, but the Internet came along. Now, when they print up an extra $150 billion per year like before, the effect is on the grocery shelves the next week. Here’s my peach tree, showing that it somewhat survived this year. It’s pretty spindly and a month late. It’s a valiant effort, but half what it used to be. It is properly fertilized and watered and in Zone 10, so I don’t know why it isn’t happy.
           Another athlete I never heard of has committed suicide, his family says. All such announcements that do not specify if he was vaxxed are under suspicion these days. What makes this one stand out is the lengths to which the fact is being concealed.

           It was an easy morning, quiet too because of the holiday. Yes, I’m glad we won the wars but I’m not so sure we had any business in most of them in the first place. Too many people have uncles who died in places they cannot find on a map. I’ve got some plant and equipment problems in the shed. The bad on is a circuit’s gone dead. It’s one of the few out there where the cables are concealed. If it’s broken, I’ll have to tear down walls to fix it. Another is my tools are getting old. It’s two years since I priced out replacements and I don’t have that much money. Even Harbor Freight has more than doubled for the things I consume.
           Certainly, I’ll get by with what I have but there are signs of age and use. Got that, some of you, from use, ha-ha. Take my heat gun. While the heating element still rises to 320°F, it only heats the surface to half that and takes too long anyway. That tool gets used more than you’d think because I use it to seal shrink tubing over take when I repair insulated tool handles.

Picture of the day.
Spring in northern Alberta.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           A routine has developed, where I use the hot part of the day on the tubes. It took a few hours to get it down. The big challenge was the sorting and that repeatedly came back to a step I learned at 17 in computer class. The third empty glass. To exchange two glasses of liquid, you need that third empty glass. I also ragged on IBM way back then for the way they kept screwing up in-house because they did not want to pay for good help. One far-reaching problem was the collating sequence. Alphabetizing numbers and the dreaded EBCDIC system still gets in the way. You and I may know that IBM says 11,111 is a smaller number than 2, but the diversity hires will come back and tell you they can’t find it.
           How slow was today? Here’s this afternoon’s top story. The insulated handles. They come with a plastic coating that lasts a year. Then you wrap them in tape. And in another year the tape comes loose. Ah, then you remember to get the small shrink wrap tubes you wanted for wiring, you had to buy the whole box at Harbor Freight. Mostly tubes too big for anything you would solder, but just right for these tool handles.

           I’m hoping for some time to plot a couple positions this everning. Just enough to get familiar with the process, as I have not yet ever a complete cycle from sextant to line of position. I’m more familiar with the process than most, and here is a picture of the wrong kind of compass. I was taught to call these dividers, which I like better to distinguish the terminology. What’s wrong with these? In navigation they are called a bow compass, but the bow part means a certain feature.
           It means the compass can be set in two ways. Either by turing the little wheel between the prongs, or by pulling or pushing on the prongs. This is a cheap model that only works by twisting the wheel. That’s just another tidbit not mentioned in the study material. I’m staying in tonght, normally on a holiday of any kind I’d make the rounds and check the competition. But if we get the Legion gig, there will be no competition.

           How do I know that? It wasn’t easy, but I know most of the other bands on the circuit and their material. None of it is the mix right for the club that the manager described. That’s partially behind my push to get our material recorded. Not because it is some studio mix that will break the charts, but because locally it is a unique sound. I remind you the new guy imported a wide spectrum of bluegrass experience, he just needed the space to develop it into the duo accompaniment we have today. Not that anybody else would copy our style, but they would have a hell of a time of it. It runs contrary to guitar-think.
           That’s how I can appreciate the leap of faith on the part of the Prez. Impulses like hiring a third person or taking on a drummer had to be warded off. And I should not use the word unique without specifying I mean nobody else around here does it—and that is the market niche on which I took dead aim. Here’s a good spot to remind everyone that major effort went into non-musical features such as mapping out guitar and bass techniques that could not be duplicated by a soloist. This has no other purpose other than to plonk any copycats. I’ve too much invested in this project not to take this precaution.

           If I get ambitious, I may post a video. I’m after audio at this time, but some of the recordings show what I’m talking about. If I get around to making them, which is not on the calendar. You can easily see the interplay of him playing “the opposite” of my motions, which his wrist behind his guitar neck whenever my wrist is under the neck. I’m giving away no secrets as I doubt there is a guitarist in Florida who would spot that without being prompted. Also, the spread of notes during most instrumental breaks is kept too wide apart to begin to fake it. And if any of the others vying for the same gigs as I am know a thing about how to foxtrot, it would take me by surprise.

ADDENDUM
           Caltier remains “paused”, although that is only the real estate fund. I put another payment into the commodities, mainly to test the system. These on-line agreements are getting to the hellacious stage, the Reggae fund makes you scroll past the entire fine print each time. That’s the commodity fund, which if you do not know is a terrific risk, you should not be there in the first place. The minimum investment is $189, but you can do that as often as you like, declaring each time your new worth is at least ten times that.
           This brings our total investment with Caltier to just over $22,000 and their lack of transparency has had a cooling effect. They shut down, pardon me,”pause” the big account for a month, say nothing, and think that doesn’t change things? I did not say there is no explanation; I’m saying they have not said anything.
           It’s a situation that prompts me to look at other crowdfunding. It’s quickly obvious the market is dominated by real estate operations. That’s why I was careful to choose Caltier because it was self-funding, that is, able to pay each property’s costs out of rental revenue where other companies took it out of the crowdfund. Have I played this one right? Also, the single complaint against Caltier at the BBB is about difficulty redeeming shares. I will assume it was some impatient character, as we know a fund the size of Caltier would have had hundreds of successful redemptions to date.

Last Laugh