Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, April 22, 2021

April 22, 2021

Yesteryear
One year ago today: April 22, 2020, he won’t say it.
Five years ago today: April 22, 2016, my favorite birdfeeder.
Nine years ago today: April 22, 2012, on being #1.
Random years ago today: April 22, 2013, a McDonald’s moment.

           Oh boy, let’s talk politics. Well, okay, make that something that has a political side, which I admittedly do not know that much about. But the history part and the legal part, I’m okay with. I’m referring to the law that would allow people to sue individual police for wrongdoing. This would end limited immunity, like the off-duty cop that rammed into me, not that this would influence my decisions. I’ve always been against any faction operating with immunity. When judges and lawyers put the wrong man in jail, he should be able to sue them individually and to me the reasoning is obvious. To keep standards way up there.
           The counter-argument goes that it will stop the police from doing their job. Ah, that’s where I depart from the mainstream. There are definite aspects of police work that need defunding. Not the nature of their duties, but items like being allowed to lie to get confessions, to detain people without arrest, to escalate roadside stops, but most of all, forcing people to pay for their own legal defense in a court battle that personally costs them nothing to pursue.

           I’ve said before, the system should pay for the court cases they lose, or in the alternative, provide a dollar-for-dollar amount to the defendant for his attorney and for every piece of evidence brought forward from those million-dollar “crime labs” which are unregulated, poorly staffed, and known to ignore exculpatory findings. Same with “expert witnesses”. As it stands, I question how many people go to jail because they cannot afford a proper defense. Every article I’ve read pro and con over this matter seems to miss the angle I’m presenting here.
           That’s all I got for this morning, so here is a picture of the Kodiak power supply I am considering. It’s comes with a surplus of features, including the 230V receptacle shown here. These units were crowdfunded and like other such products, are frightfully expensive when they finally get released. So this brand may not be the actual purchase. Also, calling these things a “generator” is misleading. The price seems to be $999 to $1,499 depending on who you believe.

Picture of the day.
The Jungle, Ecuador.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           There is a dual temptation in having both a work shed and spare time. I remind you, combinations like this are still new to me. It means today I got zilch done on the house. Instead, I built a box from pallet wood and somehow spent six hours in the shed. I watch a wild female turkey march across the neighbor’s yard and over his chain link fence. Boss Hogg was on the radio and I got an earful about the now rapidly changing balance of Internet power. That means FrankSpeech. I’ll wait to see how 91 million hits the first day goes up against FaceBook and Twitter whose users number in the billions.
           Another thing I’d like to address is the perception of failed businesses. A lot of propaganda can get sprayed around over anybody whose past includes business that did not succeed. I have words to say about that, so go get an extra cup of coffee. I know I am. Ah, I’m back, and this is French Roast. Here goes.

           I lost faith in the justice system when I learned Al Capone was not convicted of any gangster crime, but the far more selectively applied law of income tax evasion. Capone had said he tried many times to start legitimate businesses but “they would not stand for it”. This got me thinking. He had the drive, the ability, and the startup capital, but was rated a failure. Could this mean that it is unwise to call it a failure just because it did not succeed in the popular sense? All I’m doing here is casting doubt on the conventional folly of classifying every non-success as a failure.
           One of the first things anybody who starts a business discovers is that if you do not become an instant success, the system applies a slow but constant pressure to conform, that is, to transition you from owner to operator. It eventually will turn your business into nothing more than self-employment, before long the true owner becomes the system. Exactly what you set out to avoid. Thus, it could be considered wiser by those who think it over to keep “failing” until they find something that generates enough initial money to thumb their noses at the system. Just ask The Beatles, Musk, or Bezos.
           I’m squarely on the side of the risk-takers as opposed to the plodders. I’d rather fail forever than get tangled in a business that eventually ties you down. My nine rules for business success were published in the Miami New Times in 2003 and a third of them spoke of the dangers of physical inventory. I said everything in a business that was not portable or transportable made you the natural first target for everything from bylaw enforcement to federal regulation. The implications are that if a business does not allow you real dictionary-defined independence, it is the business that owns you.
           My personal situation goes beyond, to where all my life I have sought a business that I can switch off and on without implications or restrictions on the rest of my affairs. It’s proven nearly impossible so far, the same goes for countless others. I found that the longer it takes the business to become profitable, the more the system begins to interfere with the remainder of your life. Other people simply ignore this factor and get caught up in the long-term cycle of no fun, no holidays, no social life, no travel (to name a few) and yet adamantly claim they are a “success”.

           To date, I’ve dabbled into around 16 ventures that I walked away from when they became too labor-intensive, time-consuming, or led down the path of self-employment disguised as business. At the same time, I’m amused by those who knelt to the system on those issues. To such people, I’ve failed sixteen times because I did not “succeed” the way they claim to have. My retort is that I have succeeded in a business and it is one I can operate or not according to my whim at the moment, that does not own me, that has no inventory, and can be carried around in a suitcase—the definition of success for me.
           Yet, the business did not become an overnight success. It never supported me. It never did much more than pay a few of my bills and get me around to places I would never have been on my own. I’m referring to music. To me, the business failure is the business that does not provide the operator a decent, enjoyable social life on a daily basis. Failure is chasing some distant goal that when you arrive, you are too old to enjoy.

           Come to think of it, I have been a huge business success—the business of leaning what to avoid so I could spend my money investing in a dynamic, pleasure-filled life of travel, women, and experience. This parallels my attitude toward making mistakes. I’ll say it again, if it is making mistakes that prevents me from becoming a boring, humdrum, crummy personality with a zero-sum life, then bring on the mistakes.

ADDENDUM
           Now we’ve heard everything. The Democrats are now starting to count vaccination fatalities as COVID deaths. Another thing I’d like to clarify, mentioned how Biden won’t fly on Air Force One, I meant the standard airplane most presidents use, not that new $5 billion “conversion” with “tricky stairs”. Trump uses the real Air Force One and the topic is now dropped because of confusion. You see, any plane a President uses is called Air Force One. Look it up.
           Dimona is the name of the Israeli nuclear “facility”, the headquarters for their weapons research. A big explosion set off all the alarms this morning, prompting Jerusalem to say it was a Syrian ground-to-air missile that went off course. I got three problems with that. Those missiles don’t need a big explosion. They are very accurate. And they are short-range. My conclusion it was a far larger missile taking a pot-shot at Dimona. The nuclear site has the David’s Sling, and their highly-touted Iron Dome anti-missile systems in the area. The Syrian’s haven’t said anything yet, but their own bomb factory did have another mysterious explosion last week. A random missile now and again keeps the Zionist’s on their toes.

           Here’s a demonstration of how sick millennial society can become. There is standing program of prescription take-back in Florida. It accepts pills you no longer use to keep them out of the wrong hands. Ask yourself, how can you mess up something like that? Easy, go full millennial. They will now no longer take back any of the drugs if the label on the pill bottle containing your personal information is obscured.
           I decided to go on-line and find the temperature in Vancouver, British Columbia. The first six weather sites I visited have everything but that one piece of information. Man, they are screwed in the head up there. Dew point, air pressure, visibility, snow depth, partially cloudy, record low, almanac average, everything except the friggen temperature. With rain every day for the next week. Ah, here it is in 8 point font, I think it says today’s high was 66°F. That was our today’s low.

Last Laugh