Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, October 13, 2022

October 13, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: October 13, 2021, way too philosophical.
Five years ago today: October 13, 2017, a way of life.
Nine years ago today: October 13, 2013, early camper design.
Random years ago today: October 13, 2009, an educated criminal.

           PayPal is squirming in what I hope are its death throes. It has resorted to trying to bribe people with a $15 voucher if only they won’t close their accounts. Wow, fifteen bucks so they can keep the right to steal $2500 if you say anything they don’t like. I’ve hated PayPal since they cheated on the anonymity thing (if you are new here, there was a great opportunity for the Internet to transfer money anonymously “same as cash” and PayPal killed it). Nobody knows how badly PayPal is bleeding, but they are running a full-scale ad campaign to deny they made the threat. Nobody is fooled. Keep an eye on them, cancel culture can work both ways.
           For those that still go places where you have to smuggle booze, here’s a novelty item. Saw these picking up some medicinal whiskey last evening. A flask that looks like a package of tampons. The theory is that’s something most men won’t touch.

           Millennial World, the latest source of inefficiency dressed up like a computer. They still have not fixed the single biggest problem. And that is giving and time and date for delivery. “Sometime between the 15th and 20th “ means you have to have somebody present for those six days, which I know is a traditional situation. But I’m stressing the point that you hand somebody a computer, the best tool ever invented, and they will use it to make the problem even worse. Now they can miss five times as many deliveries per day.
           This morning at 9:30AM I zipped up to the library and the Reb took the dogs for a walk. Sure enough. Even if it arrived today, we still had to have the house covered until the 20th, so forget that weekend in Johnson City, type of thing. Of course, you don’t complain because any solution their fried-brain coders come up with will involve monitoring you instead of the delivery, information which they will gladly sell to the highest bidder.

           In other news, Waukesha killer is being allowed to grill his victims. Drones have been used to deposit sniffers on the rooftops of financial companies. And it is with glee that I see people dumping their PayPal accounts. The warning here is that even if the threat was real or not, that digital money gives outfits like PayPal the ability to grab the money or choke it off. Only the incredibly naïve don’t suspect anything now.
           Elon Musk says he will pay Alex Jone’s (the InfoWars guy) billion dollar fine in the name of free speech. Because of the impossible figure, people who were not committal about the Sandy Hook shootings are now considering it a hoax. It is proof to many this is not about Sandy Hook, it is about what the government is willing to do to shut people up. In American law, Jones has every right to say what he did. For the record, I see Sandy Hook as a false flag, that is, that something did happen, but it did not happen like the version the government is feeding us.

Picture of the day.
Moscow employment agency.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           The big dog needs a treadmill. Neither of us are always up to the big runs he needs, but let me tell you a tale from the trailer court. The big dog was chained in an alley from puppyhood and has deep issues. Well, in my opinion, he hit the jackpot here. The word ‘spoiled’ isn’t popular here, so I’ll tell you the tale and you come up with your own adjective. After dark, the we went to the store and on the return, as we approach the house, the big dog starts woofing. We open the door and there he is, lying on the sofa. Too lazy to get up to bark. I’m just sayin’.
           Later, I’d taken him for the big walk, such a nice late afternoon. That’s when it dawned on me I was getting more exercise than the dog. The cool weather here does make me slow to limber up and I’m only too glad to get back inside with a good book. Today it was my old book on BASIC, as I refresh the brain on animation commands. This is with an eye to that A.I. demo program that may or may not get done in my lifetime. Lem might find this challenging, except this week he’s working out of town and may not return before I’ve got to leave.
           He’s done some work with robotics, while I have zero practical experience. You may recall I’m not that interested in how well robots look and act like humans. I believe a new technology should incorporate what it does best rather than copy that which already exists. That’s why I can program sensors well enough and not things like speech, vision, or hearing. But I’d be fine with pattern recognition. I’d be more interested in a robot that did what humans could not rather than one that mimics humans in most ways. To me, at least at these beginning stages, it is a waste of resources to develop robots that can smell and taste rather than pursuing real A.I. for the immense benefits that can promise.
           He’s a thinking man, so I’ll wager he likes coffee. Why? Because you’ll find coffee is the traditional beverage of idea creation since the scientific method has been around. Call it a day. I’m watching a video on the history of assault guns, one of those weapons that generated its own user manual. Originally intended for bunker busting, it eventually became a primarily a great tank destroyer if you ask me, should be the first truly autonomous robot on the battlefield. We already have other smart weapons but they can’t really go hunting for targets in the same sense.

ADDENDUM
           This is the neat video that shows setup of the mitre lock bit the easy way.

Last Laugh