Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, February 9, 2023

February 9, 2023

Yesteryear
Yesteryear
One year ago today: February 9, 2022, where the trouble starts.
Five years ago today: February 9, 2018, a list of favorites.
Nine years ago today: February 9, 2014, the polite protocols.
Random years ago today: February 9, 2008, nano surpasses my ability.

           A lost day, the plight of a prisoner. I just got sprung from ten hours of confinement. It was harsh, it was brutal. Ten hours in a KIA showroom. I’ll explain. Has the Geneva convention no power in America? Well, it was not that bad. The staff let me have free coffee and I fell asleep in one of their chairs a couple hours. Here is the tale from the trailer court.
           I booked an appointment to fix the cruise control. However, when I arrived, the computer-god said that I had missed 11 recalls, of which 9 were “mandatory”. They seized my van, no way to get it back until these issues were resolved. Aha—I bet you wrongly presume KIA has some altruistic concern for my safety. Read on.

           No, it was more like a slow week at the dealership. You see, the shop bills KIA for warranty work, that is, recalls. A couple deft questions at the front desk tells me their shop time is $169 per hour, allowing me to quickly figure what was going on. Say, you guys, while you are there, could you check my backup camera, the door latch, and that cruise control is, I’m certain, also a warrantee item. Rack up $1600 on a van I paid $3500 for, and bill it to KIA. By noon, I had completed every crossword puzzle in their waiting area and chatted up every fat broad they had on staff. I finally walked up to Dunkin for a sandwich, the back and zonked out.
           There I was, captive to the situation. At closing time, they let me have the van on the condition I return it next week—and they never did fix the cruise control. I took the van immediately over to the nearest redneck joint (in Bartow) and sat myself right down. I’ll be back there for the other repairs next Tuesday, but this time I’m packing a lunch. The wind picked up and when I got home, the fence had moved again. This time, I will brace it against the tree shown in this photo. How old is that fence, anyway? My guess is more that 15 years.

           Here’s a good spot to remind myself to slow up, that a lot of my seemingly natural tiredness is due to prescriptions. And I can tell doing nothing today is going to write off tomorrow just as if I’d been laboring the whole time. The time was not wasted, I read everything in the place and tested my latest method of calculating the GP, for geographic position of the Sun. It’s worked 100% so far, which brings up another idea for me.
           And that idea is not to teach navigation, but to sell books. What do you think of this concept. The book teaches navigation ONLY in US waters (where all the numbers are positive) and spikes it with dire warnings of nuclear war, GPS satellites blasted by the Chinese, and global warming flooding away all your landmarks. Sounds like a super millennial sales pitch to me. Use the MicroSoft format, where you actually write only the first three chapters, knowing most people never get past that. And leave the other 400 pages not even proof-read.

Picture of the day.
Houston Airport breakfast, $38.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Around early afternoon I fell asleep in the chair, no way was I getting that van back until every recall dollar had been extracted. The shop is lean and hungry and I was the perfect candidate to leave sitting and waiting all day. I had brought my own reading material etc. Mind you, I had left my phone on the charger thinking I’d be home before noon. The waiting room had no computers, just a TV set to channel about some lady wearing an awful lot of foundation garmentry bent on selling the world on marble countertops. In the showroom, I read up on an expensive vehicle I’d never heard of before. It’s an ice-fishing “cabin” that you pull onto the lake. Well, first you wait until there is at least 15” of solid ice. The unit is then lowered to the ice and you remove floor plates that you may now drill into the ice. Complete with barbeque for those who can’t wait. This unit has 5 fishing holes. Laugh should you want, this is all new to me. I cannot imagine people who would spend $140,000 to go sit on the ice and fish.
           To amplify the stupidity, while these trailers are designed to get away from it all, they are chock full of ports, hookups, dishes, wiring, chargers, and antennas to “keep you connected”. Small units for two people are available, but who would want to get isolated under such circumstances is another concept I find a little weird. Details are sparse but it seems another “moon” has been discovered on Jupiter. That brings the total to 92 and I changing the size set by the Astromic people that anything larger than a mile and a half can be called a moon. I say twenty miles or something, so it can be seen on a telescope.

           My plans to get those other two heaters were frustrated. The nights are still dropping into the forties and fifties, so winter is not over yet. The heaters are old but not often used. They were stored in a dusty environment and I want the cleaned up and ready to go. I may thought there were four units, but there is only three—if I can get there before anybody else. Every cold spell, even mild one, and heaters sell out fast.
           And say hello to my longest surviving yard plant. If I transplant it out of that container to the yard, it gets spindly and never blooms right. Sigh.

           And in the lamest of lame, the Canadian government is now putting about that the trucker’s convoy protest of last year was funded by undercover Russians. The average Canadian would have no clue what that even is, but the failed Trudeau regime seems willing to try anything. I disliked the movie, “The Navigator” for its part in portraying fatty, butterball kids as normal. And I’m near finished listening to the BKT crime audiobook. It’s nine disks long, but could easy be four disks if they’d cut down on their compulsion to portray cops as all-good. The phone never rings at the police chief’s house that doesn’t interrupt him doing his kid’s homework are praying with the family. But the story is a good insight into how cop’s think, which explains a lot about why it took them 31 years to catch a killer. They were having just too good a time collecting evidence on thousands and thousands of "suspects" and keeping the evidence "for later".
Last Laugh