Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, March 24, 2024

March 24, 2024

Yesteryear
One year ago today: March 24, 2023, my desk in TN.
Five years ago today: March 24, 2019, one clumsy slip . . .
Nine years ago today: March 24, 2015, I’ve seen it.
Random years ago today: March 24, 2005, ‘bank machine’ study.

           Not much after 9:00AM and I’ve already made an enemy. You know that radio ad that says many people don’t know that the cost of upgrades that increase the value of your home are tax deductable? I pointed out that that ratio in the total value of your house, which you have to declare to get the deduction, becomes taxable when you sell the house. Looks like the neighbor’s neighbor did not know that. Too late now. Anyway, we have a job slated for tomorrow, this carport rafter isn’t a good shape. This is a two-man job that I may have to manage on my own unless said other neighbor will get over being sore and lend a hand.
.
           A couple hours later, some measurements tol me a plywood gusset may not be the fix that’s required here. The top panel shows that only the metal on the roof is holding this thing together. You can see th wedge-shape gap where the two pieces of lumber were butt-joined. So I’m not the world’s worse carpenter after all. A repair has been previously attempted, seen in th bottom panel. But the screws simply pulled through.

           It’s caught in time, I’ll just use a jack to squeeze it back tinto shape and msybe add a brace The bottom line is both the neighbor and I are too old to ever have to crawn up a latter to fix this again. I’d earlier walked over to check on him as I have not seen either of his cats around since I got back. That tri[p still has me panting from just moving around the building.
           On the journey, I listed to several more disks of Royce & Minerva getting it on. I can tell you for sure most of the recent passages were not written by a woman. But the lady author claims it is all her own material. I’ve done everything you can with normal sex and I can tell you virgins don’t start tying their boyfriends up on the third date. I’ve always viewed standardized foreplay as a sign some bored couple are trying to spike things. And if you get that after knowing somebody a few days only, somebody isn’t what they claim.

Picture of the day.
Egyptian cotton.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Refusing to let a day pass without something getting done, I cut the planks for this box. It is not fastened yet. That’s one of the items I’m getting a bit better with, pieces that are cut right enough that I can stand the pieces together like this. That’s something to me. There are invisible parts to this box. One is that it meets a challenge I made myself, that I would be able to build a solid, usable box in one hour. This is it. I laid down some conditions. For example, this box has no lid (yet), it has not been squared, and the bottom is not recessed, rather meant to be tacked on later. No hardware, no handles.
           Yet with 16 nails this will be a sturdy box or storage tray. Minimal measuring the only fancy cuts are the rabbet corners. I imagine in just a few hours, this will be full of vacuum tubes. It was a perfect day and I was in the shed a couple of hours tending to stuffl In that time I spotted three rats. They move in waves in the Spring, foraging. Time for countermeasures.

           Showing up late, rehearsal was exceptionally productive. We have not had time since January. Bands get rusty playing out only. Bad habits form and the tunes lose their edge. That’s where our homwork is paying off. We not only tightened up a dozen tunes, we were able to put together five new ones. Let me add a few non-musical comments. One, this band has lasted seven months, a record around here. Secondly we have developed a sound and it is a darn good one. It takes input for a duo to void sounding too much like a duo and we now have several “voicings” that make us sound like somewhat more than a trio.
           The time spent on theory was also wise. The chord changes and progressions are now exact and new materal often seems to arrange itself, allowing us to focus on presentation. Thank our stars we chose that despite the initialy discouraging results. Only the uptown bands overshadow us now and it took them years longer. We had a few personnel issues with the jam people influencing the Prez, but I just waited it out. I don’t know any details, but I know every other guitar type in Polk County will screw you around so come on back no questions asked.
           The tunes today included Lightfoot’s “Sundown”, Brooks & Dunn “You’re Gonna Miss Me” and that Country Club song about being a member. Ready to go, one shorr session, play the song, and we are reaky to play it. That’s the payoff, could this be the band that finally makes it a full twelve months?

ADDENDUM
           The more I look at Charlieplexing, the more I like the added expense of RAM memory to accomplish the same effects. An example leakage. Charlieplex works because at any given moment, there must be two LEDs lit up. You are installing a switch that turns one of them off. This is a simplistic explanation, but accurate. Each leg ust therefore pass through two resistors, each half the resistance needed to keep the light right. But that also means a higher current flow which allows a faint glow through the lights that are supposed to be off. In any case, I struggled with the concept of two opposing currents as a say to stop a flow in the first place.
           At the same time, I can see some advantages of a combined Charlieplex and RAM arrangment. The downside is again that glow, which in turn means there is a flow. The way around it is a microcontroller which can be tweaked to ignort that backflow, but they we are back to cost and complexity.

           One last thing, is somebody messing with me. In the last 24 hours, my post of November 1i, 2022 as received a thousand clicks. The blog is ordinary, featuring a stovetop, the Webb telescope, and a mention of Trump. Over a thousand clicks and still climbing. Anyone care to let me in on the joke?

Last Laugh