Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, June 30, 2024

June 30, 2024

Yesteryear
One year ago today: June 30, 2023, June is “Caltier Month”.
Five years ago today: June 30, 2019, a peek at EVs.
Nine years ago today: June 30, 2015, killer Florida land taxes.
Random years ago today: June 30, 2009, Internet publishing sucks.

           The doggies are whooped from an extra long morning walk near the lake, giving me a short time to work on the door and fence. I’m not in a hurry, since once those are done, I might as well head back. I had my supplies arrive, which includes 200 5mm red diffuse LEDs. On-line, that is $12, off-line they are priced up to $2.19 each. And my deLorme arrived, I may plan my return trip down a forlorn highway along the Florida west coast. The terrain there is mostly swamp. The freeway is 20 or 30 miles inland, so there are few roads between that and the shoreline. Well, sort of shoreline, the slope down to sea level is so shallow the edge is where the mangroves or weeds decide to stop.
           Another breezy, shadowy day gave me time to get the fence rails up. Dragging the old barrier out of the way gave me the wearies. I say barrier, not fence, as over time as sections rotted away, the easiest way to block the egress was to stuff shafts of old bamboo though the gaps. Pretty soon, you have 200 of these sharp and eye-poking twigs that have to be pulled out in reverse. It’s done.

           But not the whole job, again I’m out of materials. The next person who every repairs this fence will curse me fearsome. I had 40 long exterior screws to fasten the rails. But between pieces that get dropped in the leaves and such, I had to switch around half the screws to a different type. Star bits and Phillips bits are not compatible. Yep, somebody is going to hate what I did. But the rails are up and I’m going to need new materials for the final 16 been of fence, I sawed up all the cedar pickets that were cheap enough. From here on I buy retail, and pickets are like 2x4”s. You think they are cheap enough each until you find out how many you need.
           The crap I dragged out of the old underbrush how forms a ring in the back yard. That becomes a major task, I’d project most of a day’s work for somebody half my age. The deer run is shady, but watch your head, as some of it is secured by a brace to the neighbor’s fence and you will bump your head. The fence is now mostly straight and the Reb will love it.


Video has sound.

           I’ve mention the company’s affinity for CNN claptrap and I heard of howling sound. Later, we discover that the Supreme Court has ruled that the President’s actions while running the country are, as they must be, protected by immunity. As predicted the Leftists, who feel it should apply only to their candidates, are furious. They are screaming this will grant Trump (when elected) an untouchable super-power. Most Americans, judging by the rallies, are okay with that. The contrived issue it the left claiming Trump has said he will be dictator “from” day one. He said “on” day one. I saw the broadcast.

Picture of the day.
St. Bart’s, in the Caribbean.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Wisely, I stocked the fridge with ready-to-drink glasses of water. It was another full day, more for the Reb. Just before noon, she called to report the KIA has been stolen. Yep, right out of driveway in Franklin. That’s at the recording studio. Fortunately we are fully insured, and that’s the KIA ‘kiddie-car’ I wanted sold a year ago. Still, there are always sentimental items in the car, plus even if it is recovered the unit is contaminated. Who’s to say the thieves did no deviously plug something or nick a brake line. Here is a sneak preview of the loaner car, a Volvo. I cannot leave Tennessee until this situation is resolved.
           For the record, here is how said insurance works. First, KIAs are among the most stolen cars simply because the “millennial” system makes them easy to hack. I read there’s smart phone app for that. Another useless KIA feature is all the interlocks that make them hard to start or put in gear. Great in theory, but it takes a thief maybe 15 seconds to know how to defeat them. It is unlikely a KIA older than three years is stolen for parts, so chances are it will be found abandoned. Insurance companies give it ten days to show up. During that time you have a rental where they pay the first $50. We were able to get the Volvo (please don’t let her fall in love with that car), for ten days.

           If the KIA is not recovered, after ten days they will pay the insurance, but you then have five days to find a replacement vehicle in the range they determine. We’ve had this trouble with that industry before. However, this time we do not have a second vehicle to wait them out or argue. When I said last week we are broke until Xmas time 2024, this is a very accurate time-line based on my budget figures.
           And last day of the month, Caltier paid a piddling $24 dividend on $20,000 invested. These people should, in my opinion, get off their arses. I know they are making enough in rent to meet their 7% goal. So, where is the extra $100?

Last Laugh