Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, June 25, 2022

June 25, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: June 25, 2021, I won’t keep you long.
Five years ago today: June 25, 2017, Amtrak starts to suck.
Nine years ago today: June 25, 2013, fraught with hidden clauses.
Random years ago today: June 25, 2020, three fence posts.

           Not much happens today, so let’s look around. First stop, the Moon. Here is the crater formed by a rocket booster crash. You can’t see it directly, it is on the far side. This interests me because in general, there is nobody keeping track of space junk and nobody is sure who launched this rocket. The crater was found by comparing before and after shots. Somebody has money to orbit the Moon taking pictures, but not to carry out the trash. Source: Space.com
           In related news, MARSIS is the probe that discovered the potential water aquifer on Mars five years ago, gets an upgrade. That’s the ground-penetrating radar on the Mars Express, sent by the Europeans. The news is the upgrade is in Windows 98. Like Windows XP, it’s from the days when Windows was not spyware and actually did a somewhat acceptable job. But all Windows products decay with age, I believe that is intentional.

           On a good day, the MARSIS radar can penetrate 2 miles beneath the surface. As far as I know it is below the polar cap and no pictures of the sounding has ever been published, just the polar cap. NASA should prioritize sending a Biofinder to Mars, but knowing them, it will be another twenty years.            Pardon me, there is a picture of the lake, several lakes, actually. This comes from a BBC report on the Italian company that built the radar. There’s a real scientific chain of command for you. My hip is still sore, reminds me of the time I fell down roller skating in the 1980s. Took months to recover that time, hardly encouraging.. Let’s peek at the news. The domestic terrorists are at it again, this time the abortion law. Neither myself nor anyone I know is a large consumer of such things but I have an opinion.
           Quite simply, you have all the babies you want, as long as you pay for them yourself. But for liberals the issue is always whether or not they can tell you how to live your life. So expect a little violence and troubles a long ways from here.

           By noon, I’m not feeling any better so I thought I’d finally read up on that warn in South America where everybody kept changing sides, the Paraguay War, known by other names. After an hour I can’t say I’m better informed. I learned at the time, Paraguay was the most Europeanized nation in the sense of being best organized for war. They must have preferred fighting on swampy ground a lot. I’m left with the impression it was all a mess, with reinforcements, cannons, cavalry, and allies all showing up in the nick of time on both sides.

Picture of the day.
Russian haystacks.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           By late afternoon, I remain immobile, long enough to finally view a documentary on Enceladus. That’s the moon of Saturn that has a surface of fresh ice. Fresh? You bet, without it periodically (or constantly) renewing itself, it would develop a coating of asteroid debris. So NASA had Cassini probe take a closer look. The result is the water plumes in this remarkable photo. What’s more, the particles are a particular size and one of the rings of Saturn is made up of identically-sized bits.
           Being that I’m at the computer, let’s talk business. The tax overage business is just one part of a larger government scheme that keeps the money from sales of repossessed properties. The houses are sold at auction and often they do go for much more than the outstanding mortgage. I’ve ragged on about this for years. Well, sifting through the 25-35 emails good old Bob sends me per week, he has a seminar on how to follow up on that.
           The tax overage came to a standstill over the difficulty of skip tracing, but mortgages would not have that issue—and the complete office structure including licenses and addresses are still set up in Tennessee, just waiting. If opportunity knocks, fine, if not jiggle the knob and try the windows.

           Six o’clock sharp a thunderstorm commenced so close, I fear some damage is done on this street. Mild rain. I decided to read and watch documentaries unless you want to go downtown for a beer later. I’m open to the idea or for sure if you are buying. I’m going to have a stab at throwing out things, Tough call, because I like to tinker. Carrying on, I took a closer look at Tobruk, the coastal fort of WWII fame. I was surprised to find it a thriving city, not the leftovers you get in many such places that make headlines once.
           What’s this, they want to ban Russian gold? How do you tell if it is Russian? Faint vodka stains? It’s radioactive? The bullet holes? Now, did I get that off Gab, or did I compose it? I’m not telling.

Last Laugh